Dug Down

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:39 PM

Well Norman and Hazel seem to have finally realised that Autumn is here.  It took them long enough! ;) Up until yesterday they were still bombing about and eating well. Today however, the sudden change in temperatures and the cold have resulted in Norman digging down under the fuchsia bush and Hazel peeping gingerly out of her warm cosy box! Neither of them could even be bothered to get as far as the outdoor lamp today. :laugh:

As a result I have finally succumbed and brought them in after a lovely long 6 month spell living exclusively outdoors. What a brilliant summer we've had. Neither of them seem to bothered by the change. They've both been chomping away happily and basking under their heat lamp. :D

Hazel's worm count came back clear. Norman's is being sent off later today. Roll on the wind down next month for my two. :thumbup:

#22 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:19 PM

Hi Guys, :)

Billiejo has nearly completed her wind-down and is due to go into her hibernation box on Thursday.

She usually goes down about mid October every year. She has her own routine and things run like clockwork for her.

She has been indoors for the past couple of weeks and hasn't eaten in nearly a month. The weather here this time of year is very poor and the temps have now taken a turn for the worse. It is also very windy and cold outside. I plan to build  her a new enclosure when the weather improves and hopefully it will be ready when she emerges from hibernation in Spring. This will be her 33rd hibernation with me and I have to say I always get butterflies every time she goes down.

I know, Billiejo is one of the earliest hibernating torts on the forum so I will be keeping my fingers crossed for another successful year.

She is now 55 years old. Bless her! :wub:

I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone and their torts a smooth and safe hibernation. We will be here over the winter months to lend a helping hand should anyone need it. 

Anyway, best of luck everybody and roll on Spring! ;)

Kind Regards

Freddy :D

Hi, Freddy, wishing Billiejo another successful and peaceful hibernation. Harry's a bit early this year, too; he hasn't eaten for four days now, so he's obviously gone into wind-down. 

This season has gone so quickly, it only seems like last week we were all getting our torts up from their big sleeps!

Let's hope they all experience another successful hibernation, and we can all rejoice when they emerge in the spring  :D

#23 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:17 PM

Hi Guys, :)
Billiejo has nearly completed her wind-down and is due to go into her hibernation box on Thursday.
She usually goes down about mid October every year. She has her own routine and things run like clockwork for her.
She has been indoors for the past couple of weeks and hasn't eaten in nearly a month. The weather here this time of year is very poor and the temps have now taken a turn for the worse. It is also very windy and cold outside. I plan to build her a new enclosure when the weather improves and hopefully it will be ready when she emerges from hibernation in Spring. This will be her 33rd hibernation with me and I have to say I always get butterflies every time she goes down.
I know, Billiejo is one of the earliest hibernating torts on the forum so I will be keeping my fingers crossed for another successful year.
She is now 55 years old. Bless her! :wub:
I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone and their torts a smooth and safe hibernation. We will be here over the winter months to lend a helping hand should anyone need it. 
Anyway, best of luck everybody and roll on Spring! ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

Yes roll on spring indeed Freddy. Good to see you are boxing her up for hibernation - much the safest thing to do :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users