• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:29 AM

I harvested literally thousands of seeds from my hollyhocks this year, so if anyone would like a packet of them to get growing in the spring, just PM me, and I'll happily send some up to you.

harryhocks_zps18b9658a.jpg

#2 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2014 - 12:35 PM

OOh what a lovely thought Graham. Have PM'd you ;)

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 04:35 AM

That's lovely Graham, i'll pm you as well thanks. :)

#4 Janst4

Janst4

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:20 AM

What a kind thing to do. :-) I have pm'd you, I think. :-)

#5 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:56 PM

Thanks so much for the seeds Graham. They have obviously been rattling around in the local sorting office for a time. Good job they were seeds and not something perishable. Thanks for the detailed instructions too.

Can I ask again please, when we should be planting the Lidl hibiscus plants? I know you said, not when we got them, but is it time now?

Thanks again :D

#6 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:51 PM

Hi, Sue, a couple of people have PM-ed me lately saying that they've only just received the hollyhock seeds; the whole batch I sent out must have got delayed at this end.
As for the hibiscus, no, don't put them out now, they won't survive the cold months. Bring them in for the winter and plant them out towards the end of next April.

#7 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:08 PM

Oh I just assumed it was this end Graham as our local sorting office is notorious for being late with everything, I am always getting told off about my late time sheet, I just take no notice now lol

Good job I asked about the hibiscus, will bring them indoors as they are starting to lose their leaves now. Would they be OK in a large cold frame or better completely indoors? I put a fair few plants in the tortoises sun house over winter, might as well make use of it :D

#8 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:13 PM

I'd bring them in the house if I were you, Sue, hibiscus are very vulnerable to the cold, particularly in their first year. Being planted out in the spring, followed by a decent summer normally gets them going enough to easily survive their first winter outdoors.

#9 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:21 AM

I'd bring them in the house if I were you, Sue, hibiscus are very vulnerable to the cold, particularly in their first year. Being planted out in the spring, followed by a decent summer normally gets them going enough to easily survive their first winter outdoors.

Thanks for that info Graham ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users