Photo

Designing A New Outdoor Enclosure. Advice Please?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 MiriMaran

MiriMaran

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:I have boys age 11 and 12, 1 husband, 2 dogs, 2 pigs, 1 goat, 1 tortoise, 3 sheep and 19 chickens. Lots of mouths to feed ad not much time for hobbies. I work as a self employed gardener.

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:01 PM

Attached File  IMG_2989.JPG   48.18KB   1 downloadsAttached File  IMG_2994.JPG   44.83KB   2 downloadsAttached File  IMG_2993.JPG   51.27KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_2992.JPG   55.12KB   0 downloads

Here is Herbella's new place.  Its not quite finished yet.  The glass roofed bit of the house has her UV lamp and eating area and the felt roofed bit has a tubular heater on a thermostat.  Both have topsoil for her to dig into.  There are lots of edible plants for her, but they are so young and small you can barely see them!  She has Hosta, Fuschia, Calendula, Forget-me-not, Dandelion, Clover, pansies, Sedum, Hollyhock, Campanula, geranium Red Valerian, Self heal and a few other bits.

When the weather warms up more plants will be going in.  We are also going to get some more pebbles so there's not so much soil.  It does look a bit like a building site at the moment.  The little house with the perspex is going to have a seed tray with water in it so she can have a soak and hopefully the water will warm up nicely in there.

I hope you like it.  Any suggestions on improvements please.

• Rue likes this

#22 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:32 PM

Hi MiriMaran, your enclosure looks absolutely great!! I am going to steal a few ideas!!! You will have very happy torts x x x hugs x x

#23 MiriMaran

MiriMaran

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:I have boys age 11 and 12, 1 husband, 2 dogs, 2 pigs, 1 goat, 1 tortoise, 3 sheep and 19 chickens. Lots of mouths to feed ad not much time for hobbies. I work as a self employed gardener.

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:32 PM

Thanks Stella. We've worked hard and are very pleased with, but there's more work to do - more gravel, more plants. The only problem we are having is getting the thermostat to work properly so we have been bringing Herbella in at night which is really frustrating.. In fact maybe I should start a new thread to find out what other people use.

#24 Millie

Millie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 05:48 PM

Hi,

We will be new owners of a Herman tortoise with the next few months and we are planning an outside enclosure, where I was thinking of putting it, we have a Magnolia tree and I was just wondering if the petals are poisonous for the tortoise? if so I will go back to the drawing board!!

Thanks Lisa x

#25 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:08 PM

Magnolia is not toxic as such but as they drop flowers in large quantities I would remove most of them to avoid over ingestion. If the tree creates shade over the area, it's also worth making sure the tortoise will get a full days sun ;)

#26 Millie

Millie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:54 AM

Thanks for that, where the enclosure will be he/she will have full sunlight as the Magnolia tree will be just at the end of it. As you say they do drop a large amount of flower but just thinking last night it will be covered any way for security so the petals will just drop on top so it will be easier to pick off - just glad its not toxic so if any does get in the enclosure it will be okay ;)

Thanks again for your advise - looking forward to get our little member of the family!!!

Lisa x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users