What Plants Do You All Use?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MiriMaran

MiriMaran

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:I have boys age 11 and 12, 1 husband, 2 dogs, 2 pigs, 1 goat, 1 tortoise, 3 sheep and 19 chickens. Lots of mouths to feed ad not much time for hobbies. I work as a self employed gardener.

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:34 PM

I thought that this could be an interesting thread.  As we are planning our outside enclosure I would be very interested to know what plants people put in their outdoor enclosures.  Also do any of you have plants in the indoor part of the outdoor enclosure?

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 05:02 AM

Hi, in my outside enclosure I have different ornamental grass, heather, hebe, yucca plants, I also have lavatera which flowers, you can also have lavender and hibiscus these are all really good plants to use in the enclosure as they don't get  eaten, have a look on here it might give you some more ideas. :)   http://www.thetortoi...e/plants_19.asp.

I also have other plants and weeds in that they just eat like pansy's and viola, for the weeds I just planted loads of seeds around the enclosure and what grows they just eat here's a really good weed seed mix, they do well been planted late in the year. :)  http://www.tlady.cla...t/herbiseed.htm

#3 MiriMaran

MiriMaran

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:I have boys age 11 and 12, 1 husband, 2 dogs, 2 pigs, 1 goat, 1 tortoise, 3 sheep and 19 chickens. Lots of mouths to feed ad not much time for hobbies. I work as a self employed gardener.

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:38 PM

In an ideal world I would like the enclosure to be full of edible plants so that she can just forage without me having to feed her, but I don't think we can build one big enough to give the plants enough time to recover!!

#4 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:22 PM

I think you are right about that MiriMaran. Tortoises like to eat....and of course trample. I have made the mistake of planting tort friendly plants only to have them devoured to ground level very quickly. I guess the trick is to get more mature plants and as Karen said shrubs,like lavateria and hibiscus are good as torts,love the flowers and will eat them as they fall. Or you could keep them in pots and bury them in the ground retrieving them before totally destroyed to re grow x x xhugs x x x

#5 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:33 PM

I've got fuchsia plants, pansies, violas, snapdragons, petunia growing over the summer and a selection of weeds growing all year round as well.

#6 MiriMaran

MiriMaran

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:22 PM

very good idea about the pots Stella. I love the idea of Herbella wandering through lots of colorful flowers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users