• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:47 AM

It seems autumn has arrived early this year in this neck of the woods; Harry's in his second week of wind-down so will be due in on November 1st, a good two or three weeks earlier than previous.

Has anyone else noticed the same where they are?

#2 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:47 AM

Hi Graham,
Yes ive noticed the same too,i put mine in towards the end of november last year but are on their 2nd week wind down already too here in sommerrrset lol

#3 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:54 PM

The weather here is gorgeous, but the torts are having none of it, so wind down is starting here too and they will be in for the second week of November, mind you that is pretty normal for  my lot. The babies will keep going a bit longer, but they are also slowing down a lot, so it's not going to be easy :/

#4 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:31 PM

My torts are still following the pattern for previous years, It has been lovely these past few days and those up are enjoying finding different places to trick me in the hide and seek hibernation game we play. All are returned to Tort Lodge to do the process properly . X x x xhugs x x x

#5 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:41 PM

Do they go below ground in their hide Stella?

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:37 AM

Hi Graham,

The weathers been lovely here for a few days, but mine are still quite, there already on wind down now, and will go down in November. :)

#7 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:18 AM

Do they go below ground in their hide Stella?

Yes they do, the soil in the lodge is about 4 feet deep. It is lined with double thickness pond liner. The pit is made from breeze blocks with 3inch thick insulation sheets round the outside. The heater will come on whenever the temps drop below 5 degrees. I have used this method for many years and it is very successful. The torts do not loose weight and don't get disrupted from the environment they know.
The only thing is it is very labour intensive at this time, watching where they are and what they do. X x x hugs x x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users