• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jayne watkins

jayne watkins

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:29 AM

I have a 3.5 year old Hermann tortoise, who runs around in her pen with a mixture of surfaces, has a cuttle fish to gnaw on but her top nose/beak seems to have a longer point on it compared to my 4.5 year old (male)  who lives in the same conditions, is this just different torts growing at different rates or something I should be aware of please? :unsure2:

#2 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:59 PM

If a tortoises beak is growing incorrectly it is to do with either feeding methods or a genetic growth problem or injury. If it is the pretty common parrot beak, then it is almost certainly a feeding issue. If you are feeding natural fibrous foods and scattering them, rather than dish feeding and you have good rocky substrate, it's more likely a genetic thing. Do you have pics of this please, so we can take look at what is going on?

#3 jayne watkins

jayne watkins

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:45 PM

her beak is like a parrot beak, I do scatter her food and her run has different surfaces, she also spends some time(30 min daily) in a run stood on lawn where she eats the clover/dandelion leaves that are growing there, she has a cuttle fish bone to chew on,  my male tortoise who gets the same treatment has a normal looking beak. I will try and take photos and upload them.

#4 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:07 PM

her beak is like a parrot beak, I do scatter her food and her run has different surfaces, she also spends some time(30 min daily) in a run stood on lawn where she eats the clover/dandelion leaves that are growing there, she has a cuttle fish bone to chew on,  my male tortoise who gets the same treatment has a normal looking beak. I will try and take photos and upload them.

It only usually happens with indoor torts on soft substrates and soft food. I don't find cuttlefish a lot of use once it has reached this stage. Yes pics will help :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users