• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ditzyangeluk

ditzyangeluk

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:38 PM

I have two Hermanns, aged just over two, so unsexed.  I have just added a third Hermann, yesterday, a year old (so again unsexed) but about the same size and weight as the other two. 
One of my 2 year olds has been mounting the new one and doing the face/expressions/mouthing that I have seen when tortoises are mating.  I know that they are too young so is it a dominance thing?  Should I be wary at this age?

#2 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:47 PM

Hi,
Are they from the same breeder?if not you should always quarentine the tortoise for at least 6months as if it has any diseases or infections then the other two will catch it.yes its most probs just dominance at this age as they are are now where near mature and able to breed to show mating behaviour

#3 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:47 PM

Are they the same subspecies as this is very important if mixing them?

#4 ditzyangeluk

ditzyangeluk

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:29 PM

Hi,
Are they from the same breeder?if not you should always quarentine the tortoise for at least 6months as if it has any diseases or infections then the other two will catch it.yes its most probs just dominance at this age as they are are now where near mature and able to breed to show mating behaviour

Yes from same breeder. If it IS a dominanece thing, will they get over it and they will get used to each other - it has ony been a day.  Or should I separate now to save anxiety?  

#5 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:53 PM

Good point Sue.im guessing as they are from the same breeder are they are the same subspecies as if not like Sue mentioned for breeding purposes later on isnt a good idea.well ive found when i introduce torts to my group i find the dominance thing wears off after a while once theyve settled in but all torts are diferent and some more dominant than others.just keep a close eye to make sure it dont get too stressed out

#6 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:53 PM

Oh also plenty of space is required so they can get away from each other
Regards matt

#7 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:02 PM

Very valid point Matt, small enclosures almost always lead to dominance issues. Hopefully they are not related as this could bring problems if they breed at a later date. Certs will obviously determine this. If they are, then they are obviously best kept separately, permanently.

#8 ditzyangeluk

ditzyangeluk

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:52 PM

I have no intention of breeding from them.  The enclosure is 4ft x 4ft currently but intend to make bigger as they grow.  Just wonder if the dominance thing will settle - had no problems with the other two

#9 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:01 PM

I'd say it is too small an area for them to have an addition, depending on how big they are.

#10 ditzyangeluk

ditzyangeluk

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:52 PM

Average size of each is approx

90mm

100g

#11 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:57 AM

Hi, what sub-species did your breeder say these tortoise are, also did your breeder not give you advice on this before you bought the 3rd hatchling, as there's always a risk of this happening when adding a new tortoise, to one's that are already settled in an enclosure. ;)

Do you have the space to make an additional table if needed, just in case the dominance carries on, as you may need to separate the new one so it doesn't become to stressed, you will have to keep a close eye on them and see how they go and separate if needed. :)

#12 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:02 AM

Definitely too big then for the area you have for more than a couple of torts. One thing to be aware of though is that whether you want them to or not, they will breed when older, so if you have the opportunity to get this right now, when they are small, you are much luckier than someone say, adopting a group and having to sort out the problems they already have. It's not something to take on lightly without a lot of thought. Three or four adult tortoises will need a fair amount of space when adult so as not to get stressed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users