• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:12 AM

Hello everyone! Im struggling to decide if I want to put Littlefoot into hibernation.

Ive tried to contact my vet, but he hasnt gotten back to me and Im scared to put him into hibernation even though he is trying to shut down. Littlefoot has been burrowing down and sleeping for days. I know they go into hibernation around this time but havent hibernated him yet. Hes sleeping right now and Im not sure if i should wake him, or let him sleep. Hes burrowed down into his coconut coir and has been fed everyday. he still eats if i wake him, but hasnt wanted to stay active. What should i do to make sure he'll be okay for hibernation, and if I should hibernate him or not.

Thank you.

#2 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:13 PM

Hi,
Yes he will naturally be wanting to hibernate now,you must make a choice wether to or not as if your are wanting to the you will have to keep digging him up everyday to bathe him to clear his gut for 3-4 weeks with out food before for letting him hibernate!im guessing you have him in doors,this wont be sufficeint unless useing a larder fridge or other wise an out house with a heater on a thermostat to stop him from freezing will be needed.if hes been active and well over the summer and good healthy weight then i cant see why not to hibernate him.

#3 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:38 PM

Hi There,

I agree with Matt. It would be probably best to hibernate littlefoot. But you will need to prepare.

You should provide him with a suitable hibernation place  indoors where temps remain stable ( a garage or other location attached to your house would suffice) and preferably were temps are cool and remain between 2C-8C. Alternatively you can use a good fridge that is set up for the purpose.

3-4 weeks of starvation will also be required to clear your torts gut. During this time no food should be given but you can offer water.

If you start littlefoots wind-down soon you will have almost a month to prepare for the hibernation itself which should last approx. 3 months.

Here is a link which you may find useful http://www.thetortoi...bernation04.htm

Hopefully, there will be others along shortly to offer you more helpful advice. But for now I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide. Take care.

Kind Regards

Freddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users