11 replies to this topic

#1 gill2307

gill2307

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:16 PM

Hi there,

I'm Gill, I have two Hermann tortoises, Ernie and Mildred, believed to be aged between 8 and 10, due to their size. I've had them for about 6 years now. I've joined a couple of forums recently, as I've received a lot of conflicting information from websites, pet shops etc. so I've come to the people who know best. 

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:46 PM

Hi Gill, welcome to the forum. :)

You'll get good friendly advice here, did you not get certificates with the tortoises, as you can tell there age from them. :)

#3 gill2307

gill2307

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:58 PM

I think we have, not sure if it has their DOB on there. I shall check this though. 

#4 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:15 PM

All certs have at the very least, the month of hatching and the year, although unless you had them from a breeder it will not give an actual hatch date. This info is on the left hand side, where it says specimen. When looking at websites, I would avoid those that have commercial connections as they are rarely up to date. The best ones are written by long term keepers and breeders. Lin has a good one on www.tortoises.net.

#5 gill2307

gill2307

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:29 PM

All I have on these ones is the year, which was 2006 when they hatched, but there is a mention of a previous certificate number?

Thanks

#6 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:34 PM

Did you get them from someone who was reselling them? If so they would have to have got new certs if over 10 cms to be able to sell them, which might be why they only have the year on them. You can guess at mid summer as being the most likely time of hatching as this is when most torts hatch in the wild ;)

#7 gill2307

gill2307

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:44 PM

We bought them from a pet shop, they were very small at the time, but pretty large now!
The wording under the section says:

One love unmarked tortoise with a plastron length of less than 100mm. Hatched in 2006.
Followed by a previous certificate number, 

#8 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:53 PM

They must have changed hands before you bought them to have a previous cert number, unless it is the number of a foreign dealer. If under 10cms they will not have been chipped. I'm amazed at what dealers are allowed to do when DEFRA are so particular about dates if you are a legit breeder.

#9 gill2307

gill2307

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:55 PM

Would there be any way of looking up the other certificate? 

#10 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:06 AM

I doubt it as the country of origin is probably Slovenia or similar. Is there a name in the breeders/dealers box. Sometimes they come into the country via Germany or Holland and if so, once they are here, you pay your money and take your chance unfortunately. The certs are just handed out willy nilly with the next tortoise they sell. It's all very unscrupulous but unfortunately legal :( There will be no way of knowing your tortoises birth date unless from a UK breeder and even then, some of them just give a month as this is legit. I fill in a separate form for each hatchling so they all have birthdays lol

#11 Djs

Djs

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:14 AM

Hi Dave here we have had our tortoise for 40 years and could use some help she has laid eggs in the past but I found them to late and she hadn't seen a male in all that time until 2012 when a friend put her up in his pen with his Herman why we moved house. On the 1st of August this year I watched her lay one egg on the lawn day later she dug her nest and laid another 4 if I hadn't seen her I would never had found them they were that well covered up. Thought I would try to hatch the eggs they are still in the incubator the egg on the lawn looks empty the other four look very dark at the bottom has anybody had eggs that long? Dave

#12 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:41 PM

Not Dave, but will try to help. What temps and humidity do you have in the incubator. Hermanns eggs usually hatch within 60 days, but if temps are low then it will take longer, but too low and the eggs will die, which is why we need to know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users