2 replies to this topic

#1 gill2307

gill2307

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:15 PM

Hi there, 

I have had my two Hermanns (Ernie and Mildred) for nearly six years now, they are about ten years old. We believed that we had a male and a female on purchase. I know that one of them is definitely female, as we have had eggs, however, I don't think they were fertile, as they never hatched. I also don't know which tortoise laid the eggs. The other tortoise, 'Ernie' is the mystery however, and wherever I have taken him, no one has been able to give me a straight answer. He tends to mount Mildred, below, and his tail is longer. Hopefully I can get a definite answer.

IMG_8475.jpg 

Below are the picture(s) of Mildred, who we believe to be a definite female, but it would be nice to have this confirmed. She is the larger of the two.

Mildred.jpg

Below are the pictures of Ernie, who we thought was the male

Ernie.jpg

IMG_8472.jpg

IMG_8474.jpg

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated. Have been going around in circles!

#2 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:38 PM

To be honest thats a hard 1,they both look same sex to me.

#3 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:11 PM

If both male or even if both female, you can sometimes get this behaviour, especially if they don't have a lot of room. What size/weight are they? I'd get them of the pellets if possible and onto a soil substrate to allow for digging. The pellets are very high in protein which can damage your tortoises kidneys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users