• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Djs

Djs

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:16 PM

Hi all this could be the second time you have heard from me thought I had sent this the other day but can't find it so will try again. I'm Dave and need some advice we have had our tortoise for 40 years she has laid eggs in the past but not only have I found them to late she hadn't seen a male Until last year when a friend looked after her while we moved his tortoise is also a Hermanni on the 1st of August she laid one egg on the lawn the next day I watched her dig her nest and lay another 4 eggs I let her cover them up then opened the nest marked the top of each egg as I took them out and put them in a seed propicator For three days I couldn't get the temperature up so bought an egg incubator the eggs have been in there ever since so now over 90 days. I candled them last night the egg on the lawn looks empty the other 4 look full but what looks like an air bubble at the top. Have had them at 31 with humidity around 65. My question is have we run out of time? Thanks Dave

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:33 AM

Hi Dave welcome to the forum. :)

It's always best to start a new post as you have here as more people will see it. :)

90 days is a long time for Hermann eggs they normally take about 60 days to hatch, your temperature seems fine, your humidity is a little on the low side, but the eggs do sound right, i'm not to sure what the longest time is for a Hermann egg to hatch, hopefully Sue will be on this morning to help more. :)

#3 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:10 PM

My hermanns eggs usually take between 54 and 60 days. It's still,possible they might hatch, but the temps will have been low which sometimes leads to the embryo failing.

#4 Djs

Djs

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:40 PM

Thanks sue I thought I had tempreture right I found this site a bit to late not sure what to do now? I thought as Fred the buried eggs so well
It was worth trying. Got the bug now so will look out for older male for her we have room and time to look after them thanks again

#5 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:20 PM

You might be lucky ;) I'd look at getting more girls before getting a boy to be honest unless you have separate gardens for them and do be careful re quarantine ;)

#6 Djs

Djs

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:45 PM

Looked inside eggs today as it was well over 90 days all five empty and smelly try again next year thanks for your advice Dave

#7 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:30 AM

Aw that's sad, but you will be better prepared next year, so fingers crossed.

#8 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:28 PM

Sorry to hear this Dave, hopefully you will have better luck next year. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users