• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Caralynette

Caralynette

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:02 PM

I have had my 2 year old Tortoise now for 7 months, so he is now just over 2 and a half. He is now inside on a table top rather than full rein in the back garden. I have attached a photo, could you tell be if the flipping up of the back shell is normal?
And also rather than digging down at night 'he' because I'm not sure yet. Tommy just takes himself into a corner and goes to sleep there. I have areas on my table that are deep enough for him to dig down into, he just doesn't. As I have read he needs this for his shell I just wondered what I could do as I don't want to just move him, he would wake up as confused as I would if someone moved me in my sleep.

All help appreciated, thanks.

Attached Files

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:42 PM

Hi welcome to the forum. :)

Your not leaving any heat lamps on him on a night are you, also is the room you have your tortoise table in getting cold on a night, as this will encourage him to dig down. :)

#3 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:05 PM

I would say he is too dry. Do you water the substrate? Very dry substrate draws moisture away from the shell and can cause pyramiding etc. Also as Karen says , he could be too,warm at night. Remember that even without heating it's going to be lot warmer than outside, so try to get somewhere cooler for him to,encourage him to dig down. He looks much bigger than a 2year old, so fast growth may be making his shell distort. Males though do have flare at the rear a bit like vw beetle wheel arches lol, but this is usually not evident until much older.

#4 Caralynette

Caralynette

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:31 PM

Thanks for the replies.

His lamps are off by 6pm, and he has usually parked himself and gone to sleep by then, if I turned it off earlier, maybe he will cool down more? He is in the lounge but it is still quite warm for us so our heating still hasn't turned on yet, we don't have any cooler rooms to put him in, if anything, this is the coolest room.
I spray the floor every couple of days, maybe I should do that more than I do then, and he is bathed every couple. He also likes bathing by his own volition on his table, as he sits in the water, or as I'm sure they all do, just stumbles through!

On his certificate it said he was 2 I'm not sure there was a birth date as such, so he could be coming up 3, in length he is 100cm.

#5 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:57 PM

Think you mean 10 cm :) turning lamps off at around 4pm might help and its best to water substrate than spray as spraying only wets the top and its the bottom that needs to be damp. This might encourage him to dig down.

#6 Caralynette

Caralynette

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 03:33 PM

Oh ok, firstly yes he is only 10cm lol. Oops. :-)

I will try @ 4pm, good plan!

Water the substrate, Well, I have been spraying, I will now water!

Excellent thank you both :-)

#7 Caralynette

Caralynette

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:19 PM

Thank you ladies!
Although much dirtier he wasn't in sight this morning as he was totally covered up by a mound of dirt. So the lamp going off earlier or the change in the substrate helped. So instead of just stopping and 'parking' he puts himself to bed as he was doing when he was outside.
Thanks!

#8 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:02 PM

Lol, dirty is fine, it's how they should be :) I always have to smile when collecting shiny scratchless black and yellow Hermanns for rehoming, when the owner tells me they usually live outdoors :)

#9 Caralynette

Caralynette

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:58 PM

Lol, I'm used to it in the garden, he always used to find the wettest mud and walk around in it until his feet were just mud clumps, it looked like he had boots on. Then he would stick his head in it, like blooming children!
Again thanks for the help, Tommy is now putting himself to bed before I get home home from work, so now I don't see him until my days off and weekends :-). I used to pick his weeds when I got back from work and now as he has gone to bed, the routine has changed and I put them on his table in the morning. Because they are on the cooler part of the table hopefully still ok when he gets around to his snack. But there is usually no trace and it's all gone. I can't think of any other way of doing his food as he has fresh grown from the garden (his old stomping ground)
I was also a little shocked to find my little spiderman scaling our garage wall to get around my large stones to stop him getting to the flower beds and slug pellets. We now have a row of shiny tiles along the bottom. I thought I had tortoise proofed, little did I know they can climb vertical walls. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users