Photo

Advice Please - Healthy Hibernation Weight For Juveniles?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 crotchetybear

crotchetybear

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises, my dogs, animal welfare, conservation and environment, wildlife and travel.

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:05 PM

Any advice welcome please. I've had my juvenile hermanns since Feb this year. They were bred locally, hatched Oct last year but their breeder did not hibernate them, so this will be their first hibernation. I hibernate my adult tortoise using the box method but plan to use a fridge for the little ones.

Is there a Jackson ratio chart for juveniles? (I've tried the link to tiny tortoises but this doesn't work). I am starting a three week wind down but want to be sure their weight is OK.

I know they are large for their age (they were already large when I got them and I have tried to moderate their growth over the summer).

Anyway, their measurements today are as follows:

Custard: 87mm, 157g.

Roobarb: 89mm, 147g.

They appear perfectly healthy, although less active now it is cooler. I have stopped feeding today and plan to follow the very helpful wind down guidance I've found on this site.

Can anyone advise me whether this sounds OK please?

Many thanks,

Chris

#2 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:10 PM

[quote name="crotchetybear" post="62063" timestamp="1415541906"]Any advice welcome please. I've had my juvenile hermanns since Feb this year. They were bred locally, hatched Oct last year but their breeder did not hibernate them, so this will be their first hibernation. I hibernate my adult tortoise using the box method but plan to use a fridge for the little ones.

Is there a Jackson ratio chart for juveniles? (I've tried the link to tiny tortoises but this doesn't work). I am starting a three week wind down but want to be sure their weight is OK.

I know they are large for their age (they were already large when I got them and I have tried to moderate their growth over the summer).

Anyway, their measurements today are as follows:

Custard: 87mm, 157g.
Roobarb: 89mm, 147g.

They appear perfectly healthy, although less active now it is cooler. I have stopped feeding today and plan to follow the very helpful wind down guidance I've found on this site.

Can anyone advise me whether this sounds OK please

Wow they are huge lol. I would go for just under three weeks but keep them well hydrated and make sure they don't dig down completely before this time is up. Did he breeder grow them to this size?

#3 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:11 PM

Meant to say the Jackson ratio is useless for anything other than wild tortoises or those grown at the same slow rate

#4 crotchetybear

crotchetybear

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises, my dogs, animal welfare, conservation and environment, wildlife and travel.

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:44 PM

Thanks Sue, I will continue as planned. 

When I got them, at just over 3 months old, they were both 70mm in length, Roobarb was 78g and Custard 73g. (I have their weight charts so know that, when they came to me, they had more than quadrupled in weight since hatching.) I had no experience with juveniles (Fred having been wild-caught back in the 70s before it was illegal) so have been learning as I go. I have tried to feed in moderation - I grew the t lady's seed mix for them while indoors -  but, of course, for most of the summer they were outdoors foraging for themselves! They are back in their indoor enclosure now and, from today, not eating anything!

I propose to hibernate them using the Lucky Reptile fridge/incubator as it seems to be highly recommended. Fingers crossed!

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Chris

#5 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:51 PM

Their sizes at three months were on a par with two year olds or even more. I have no idea how they trebled in size in this time other than the breeder overfed them. I have two year olds which are around 50grams Hibernation will really benefit them. The problem with growing seeds for them is that people tend to feed them before they are full grown, so lots of lush soft growth rather than the more fibrous stuff. This will pile the weight on unfortunately. Good luck.

#6 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:55 PM

3 months they were around 70-80g,wow mine little one is 3 months now and only weighs 26-27g!!! Grown way to quick as sue said!were they feeding miracle grow lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users