3 replies to this topic

#1 StGeorge1984

StGeorge1984

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:DIY, Teaching, Pets.

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:23 PM

Starting the hibernation wind down tomorrow. Am I right in saying remove all food including planted life from their enclosures? They are 7 years old. 6 weeks for full emptying. Full light for 3 weeks and then begin to reduce an hour every half week. They have 12 hours of light at the moment from 6.00 until 18.00. Lots of water and well watered substrate. How often should i bath them?

#2 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:00 PM

No food whatsoever, to make sure gut is totally empty. 4 weeks wind down max (6 weeks will use up valuable reserves). What weight are they? Gradually reduce heat and light until just an hour for last day. The aim is to keep them awake and moving, but not too active and not permanently dug in. Hours at the moment should be around 8 hours to correspond with natural daylight hours if you are intending to hibernate. This is how I do mine www.tortsmad.com/hibernation.htm

#3 StGeorge1984

StGeorge1984

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:DIY, Teaching, Pets.

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:05 PM

Ok I will remove their plants and cuttlefish. I will reduce their hours to 8 tomorrow morning and work out the reduction I need per day over 28 days to have a last hour on last day.
I will be weighing them again tomorrow so I have and accurate reading. I however don't have digital scales at the moment which sucks but mine are broken. This is my first hibernation so have been reading for a long while. Thanks for the link sue. Can always rely on a good reply. X

#4 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:22 PM

Lol, no problem. Just remember that weight lost during wind down is not true weight loss just gut emptying, so weighing I more important between going into hibernation and coming out and should not exceed 10% cuttlefish wont hurt if he eats a bit, but not a good idea for him to chomp too much. There are some good scales in Argos for less than twenty pounds ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users