5 replies to this topic

#1 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:04 PM

Hi guys,

Just a few questions regarding the outdoor enclosure I have for my torts.

They have been there for a while now and I currently have a 250w infrared heat lamp, this was fine for the summer as they got a lot of their light from outside. But now its colder and wetter (and they never go outside), I think they really need a UVB lamp as well as the heat lamp. I was wondering what size UVB bulb to use? I have been advised to get a 13watt, but have not been told which UVB output to get. I am currently looking at this bulb: http://www.ebay.co.u...-/281156754331?(or item numbe r 281156754331, on eBay if that doesn't work).

​Also, on a little side note. The heat lamp and the convector heater have became really dirty and I notice that the torts are often dirty when they haven't had a bath for a couple of days. How do I maintain the enclosure inside to prevent dust? I imagine watering it every week or so would be a good way but id love to hear your suggestions.

​Thanks a lot,

Daniel

#2 StGeorge1984

StGeorge1984

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:DIY, Teaching, Pets.

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:45 PM

I personally purchased a mvb bulb. This helps with uv and heat. The torts generally spent the summer months outside their house in their cold frame which makes sense as sue said there will always be more uv in natural sunlight. The torts I think didn't even know what their house was until the sunlight reduced and it became more overcast. Now they spend a lot of time under their mvb. The good thing is they are expensive but they last quite a while. Obviously the more expensive the better. I went for 100 watts. Someone may come along with more experience and rebutt this but they seem to like it and get the uv on seriously bad days. They last a lot longer than uv tube lights.

#3 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 07:31 PM

Thanks for that! I went from combined bulbs to heat bulbs after somebody on this forum advised me to do so. But now it is colder and the ground is wet (I have grass outside for them, but I am hoping to change that for the spring time) I don't like them going outside, so they currently have no sources of UVB. As soon as I get a recommendation for UVB output, I shall buy a bulb and the torts will have a heat lamp and a UVB lamp :):)

#4 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2014 - 07:38 PM

Those are no good whatsoever Danny. It's a case of you get what you pay for. Keeping tortoises indoors involves high levels if uvb and a good supplement. All enclosures need to be watered to give correct humidity, but it really would be much easier and better for them if they were hibernated to be honest.

#5 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:06 PM

I will hibernate eventually, but I don't think it is cold enough just yet. 

Are you guys essentially saying that I should get a nice powerful combined bulb? Its just that I was told to use heat lamps instead (in the summer months).

#6 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:16 PM

Not at all, I use separates all the time, just not those plug in uvb's, which are often not exactly what they seem. I use strip lights for my tortoise enclosures, which give a better all over light.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users