• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bennycake

bennycake

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:49 AM

My 2 year old tortoise is on his sixth day of wind down. He's getting a bath every other day and everything seems to be going well.I'm reducing his heat/light every day but the thing is he's still rather lively(scratching).The temp under his light is currently 22c and its on for 5 hours at the moment. Is this temp too high? Also haven't seen any poo's yet.

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:38 PM

Hi Benny,

They are still lively for the 1st part of the wind down, they need the temperatures at the start of wind down to help them digest any food they have left, he will start to slow down as you go through the wind down period. :)

#3 bennycake

bennycake

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:09 PM

Hi thanks for the reply. Do you think 22c is too low at this stage? What temps would you recommend?

#4 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:44 PM

Hi bennycake,
I would keep the tempts up for a few days 30-32c as a tortoise needs to keep its body temperature up to digest food so to clear the gut

#5 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:01 AM

Agreed, he needs temps of at least 30 to digest food. In the wild they sometimes dig down for days then reappear and bask up to 40 degrees and dig down again.

#6 bennycake

bennycake

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:36 PM

I'm confused? He's in the 7th day of wind down so I've lowered the temps cos he was quite active. How long should I keep his heat at 30c? Should I reduce it gradually? I thought he had to have just enough heat to keep wake him & keep him going? Will it be ok to higher his temps now?
Thanks for all the advice guys but I'm finding this all rather confusing.

#7 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 21 November 2014 - 03:52 PM

Hi
Yes will be fine to higher the tempts,keep the temps up for a couple weeks but reduce the length of time that the heat lamp and lights are on every other day or so until about 2 -3 days before hes due to go into hibernation turn the heat lamp off completley only leaving the light on until the last day then switch everything off for a day or 2.thats the way i do it but every1 does it differently

#8 bennycake

bennycake

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:20 PM

Thanks for the advice I'll put his temps back up to 30c tomorrow and leave it at 30 until next Friday(hopefully he'll do a poo) then I'll start to reduce the heat in his final week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users