7 replies to this topic

#1 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:18 PM

Hi all, this is my first post.

First of all, recently I adopted a hermanns tortoise called Vera :) who isn't in the best condition (pyramiding, long claws etc). According to the lady I got her from she is around 3 years of age however shes already 18 cm long (carapace length) and weighs around 1180grams :/

She was fed on pellets and broccoli/kale which I know isn't good for her so she's on a diet of various weeds. What I want to know is, is it possible for her to be this big already or was the lady wrong... Thankyou in advance :D

Attached Files

#2 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:23 PM

Hi there and welcome :)
I would very much doubt shes 3 years old,i have 11-12 year olds not reaching quite that weight,i could be wrong down to the diet and husbandry that she has had then maybe she could be this large but i doubt it.hopefully someone will be along shortly to answer the question whos more experienced.i would say if she was bought from a pet shop she could of been at least a couple of years old already,did you not get any papers with her as this would be illegal if you had paid any money for her.
Regards matt

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:58 AM

Hi welcome to the forum. :)

As Matt has already said that would be very big for a 3 year old, even grown fast with the wrong diet, I think the previous owner has maybe given you the wrong information, Hermann's should have a certificate which tells you the year they hatched, did the lady not pass this on with her when you got her, it is illegal to buy and sell Hermann's with no certificate, but if she doesn't have one you are fine keeping her, you just can't sell or breed from her in the future. :)

#4 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:30 AM

She is showing signs of calcium deficiency, so has prob grown far too fast. The beak needs to be sorted first and then adjust diet accordingly. Kale is fine btw, but avoid broccoli ;)

#5 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 03:02 PM

Thanks everyone :D she doesn't have a certificate but she was given to me (no exchange of money). Also I thought her beak was a bit too long but wasn't certain. Is there an easy way of doing it at home with a file etc. And I'm on the case with the calcium. Her previous owner hardly ever dusted her food because of bad info from a pet store. On the age front I'll just assume she's around 10-15..15thanks again :D

#6 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:51 AM

Much younger than that. Probably around 5 with fast growth.

#7 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:35 PM

Thankyou :)

#8 paulmblythe

paulmblythe

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts