• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:07 PM

Hi all..We've recently (2months ago) become custodians of a hatchling Eastern Hermann. His/her name is JerryMaffz/GeriMaffz.

I've done my research and purchased from a breeder.

He currently lives in a table with a 50/50 soil and play sand substrate but will go outside in the spring.

Heat and light is from an arcadia mercury vapour combination bulb.

Hot end is 31degrees cool end is around 20degrees.

His diet consists mainly of Plantain, dandelion, thistle, ox tongue and Lambs lettuce.

He has a daily bath which he enjoys and his substrate is watered.

His food is dusted lightly with Nutrabol every day and he has a cuttle bone which he does chomp on.

He seems healthy and happy.

I have loved perusing this forum and it is a real fountain of knowledge.

I have a couple of questions.....

I have seen no calcerous white deposits in his urine ever..Should I be concerned? Or is he just well hydrated?

He has gained around 7g since we have had him (9 weeks) . Is this OK, or too much.

Should I hibernate him this year?..I've heard so much conflicting advice.

Many thanks.

#2 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:22 PM

Hi welcome to the fourm :)
Sounds like you have done alot of research before getting a tort well done you :).as for the white urinates i would panic to much at this age it can be hard to see as i have a young hatchling and i stuggle to find its poop when spot checking lol.this weight gain isnt to excessive but id would be aiming for around 2g a month.i feed my young hatchling only once aday to stop weight gain to much.im going to hibernate myhatchling this year as its one of my own bred by me but i dont think i would if i had bought it.this is only my opinion tho but saying that this is the most important years of its life when growing so hopefully Sue will be along soon as shes expert with torts especially hatchlings.
Regards matt

#3 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:10 AM

Hi, welcome to the forum. As you say a lack of rates can indicate high levels of hydration as well as dehydration, so wait to see what happens later. I would increase the basking spot for digestion purposes, but feed less and more fibrous food as his weight gain is excessive. He needs to still weigh less than thirty grams or so at a year to eighteen months, so a gram a week is far too much. If you are sure the breeder is legit, then a late hibernation would be fine once he has settled well, but not yet as stress levels are high after a move to anew place ;) good luck!

#4 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 02:49 PM

Thanks for the feedback, all taken on board...He does only get fed once a day with very small amounts of food , with one fasting day..Do you think I should add another fasting day to his week?..Sue, when you say , 'increase the basking spot' do you mean hours (currently 12) or temperature?

The breeder is excellent and has advised a short hibernation in Jan/Feb which I feel I could do confidently. 

#5 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:30 AM

Personally, I do not do fasting days as in nature they would always find something, however small. Sorry, yes, I meant temps increase, to assist with digestion. Just feed less each day and scatter it to make him work for it. Too much weight increase is either too much food, too little exercise, or both. Good luck :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users