5 replies to this topic

#1 aud7

aud7

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:22 PM

Hi,

Been a long time since I've written in to the forum due to moving house, changing jobs, etc. Now though its time to get Topsy a nice new tortoise table. I have been looking in to this and Vivexotic seems to be the best on the market. (I am not wanting to design and build my own) but I am wondering if anyone can offer me any advice on the following queries. Topsy is Hermann tortoise and I have always placed a heat mat under his indoor enclosure/box, the vivexotic table is wooden and they advise me that a heat mat under it would not be effective. There is a place for a small heat mat on the side at the "bedroom" area but this really concerns me because I thought Hermann tortoises needed heat underneath them??

Also what would be best to put on the floor of the vivexotic table?

The entrance in to the bedroom part of the table is 15cm, so this poses the question as to how wide I can expect Topsy to grow to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.     

#2 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:06 PM

Hermanni tortoises should never have heat from below, that's really poor advice you have been given. Think of nature - all heat would come from above ie the sun. Heat mats can kill, especially with youngsters and dry substrates. You do not need bedroom areas, as the best thing is for them to dig down to thermoregulate.

#3 aud7

aud7

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:40 PM

Thank you for your advice Sue. We certainly live and learn because I was led to believe heat mats were a necessity since tortoises are actually lying on their fronts and as such require heat from below. I am going to get Topsy a new fully fitted table which will hopefully meet all his requirements but I am struggling with the thought of him having no heat from underneath especially when he is used to this. Any reassurance would be most welcome.

#4 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:41 PM

Totally agree with Sue,awfull advice and can be dangerous for tortoises!pet shops sale heat rocks for reptiles advising to use them but should be banned

#5 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:56 PM

If you see them in the wild, they don't come out when the ground is hot, preferring to stay under bushes to conserve moisture etc. When the ground is hot, they keep of it and tend to prop themselves against walls and rocks where they get a good air exchange underneath. The shell is a very efficient heat exchanger, so the carapace (top shell) copes really well with this. Tortoises that hold their bellies to the ground when they walk are usually sick and keep their plastrons well above ground to keep cool. To struggle with the thought of getting rid of his heat matt, is just a human emotion. Remember your tortoise is not a mammal so doesn't need warm bedding etc. He takes in heat from basking, no other way, so to warm them overnight. particularly underneath is to slowly upset the system, so he will eventually get sick. He will thank you eventually for changing things, I can promise you ;)

#6 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:20 AM

I've got a vivexotic one but I brought two and joined them together with some brackets and silicone nearly 100 inches long now, the sleeping area which you are talking about is a decent size but you can always remove the pieces of wood to then make it however big for the tort to dig down etc which is what I will do in the future when mine grows larger, mine is only 11-12cm long and 300 ish grams so fairly small at the minute so plenty of room etc.

If your stuck for space etc they are ideal! But outside is the best in summer etc or whenever you can!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users