Photo

End Of Wind Down - Torty Still Active - Advice Please.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 uphillstruggle

uphillstruggle

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:18 AM

Hi All,

I was hoping for some advice from someone more experienced than me please.  I have a young tortoise (around 150 grams) who is approaching the end of his wind down period, I plan to put him in the fridge in the next couple of days for hibernation.

This is my first tortoise and this is the first time I will hibernate him (or her?) - last year I overwintered him because I had just bought him. 

I have meticulously followed advice and instruction on the wind down period - no food, reducing lighting in a systematic manner, bathing regularly, etc.  He's well hydrated and at a stable weight having only lost a few grams.

The little bugger won't stop moving.  I come home after work and I can see that he's been marching around his table all day as his water bowls are filthy.  I can see him scrabbling around now!  He hasn't eaten in almost three weeks - how can this be possible?  Everything I read is telling me the same thing; that tortoise should be staying in his hiding place. Not this guy!

Does anybody else have this problem?

The only thing I can think of is that he may be too warm - even though we have switched off his basking lights now, the ambient temperature has been unusually warm this year.

Any advice for a newbie?  Thank you in advance. 

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:44 PM

Hi welcome to the forum. :)

If all lights and heat are now off and he's still active then the ambient temperatures are too warm, he will need lower temperatures to settle down, so he's not active, this needs doing before he goes in the fridge, it would help to close your curtains in the room he's in so it's darker and open a window to try and lower the temperatures down a bit. :)

#3 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:33 PM

I agree with Karen. You could also move your tortoise into a cooler room were temps are no more than 10C. Best of luck.

Kind Regards

Freddy

#4 uphillstruggle

uphillstruggle

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 03:39 PM

Karen, Freddy,

Thank you - that seems to have done the trick.  I moved tortoise's table to a larger, colder room yesterday and have kept the curtains drawn.  He slowed down almost immediately.

As much as he won't like it, I'll leave him there for an extra day before putting him in his box intended for the fridge.

Thanks again,

Nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users