12 replies to this topic

#1 Nicky

Nicky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:38 PM

Hi everyone

just a quickie I was thinking my 4 year and 3 months old tortoise was looking quite big and everybody keeps saying 'hasn't she grown' now I am concerned.  she is 820grams and is 16 cm from bottom of shell to head of shell measured lengthways.  she lives in an indoor housing and at night likes to sit on the rug in front of the fire. when I bought her in August 2012 she was two years old and weighed 150g and measured 3.5" and length 8cm.  in Jan 2014 she weighed 460g and measured 13cm long. I don't want a monster tortoise.

Nicky :)

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:50 PM

Hi Nicky,

By the sounds of things your tortoise is growing really fast, what is it your feeding her, do you have any pictures, then maybe Sue will be able to take a look. :)

Im sorry but having your tortoise sat on a rug in front of the fire really isn't what you want to be doing they need to be kept in their enclosure at all times with correct heat uv and substrate. :rolleyes:

#3 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:06 PM

Its due to him not being kept like a tortoise really. Unless he is one of the giant species such as sulcata or leopard, his growth is around ten times too fast. Hopefully he is having daily supplements of D3 to make sure he is not at risk of metabolic bone disease. All heat and light needs to come from above, so radiant heat from a fire is not really going to work. He is the size of a young adult, which should take around 10-15 years, so pics will help to see if there is any damage from this super fast growth. As Karen says, he needs to have correct tortoise enclosure 24/7 for him to thrive really. Hope this helps ;)

#4 Nicky

Nicky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:23 PM

eek, how terrible I didn't know this.  I thought it was ok for her to wander around the house.  in the summer she ate her own home grown weeds which I grew specifically for the torts.  now she is eating little gem, some pak choi, cucumber, courgettes.  I bath her twice a week.

Attached Files

#5 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 25 December 2014 - 10:10 PM

Yes, unfortunately he is showing quite extensive pyramiding. Are you giving him supplements or 'in date' uvb? This is pretty important to make sure he lives a longer life. Hermanns live to around a hundred years with correct care but sometimes they only live a few years (up to twenty) without correct D3 or uvb lamps. MBD is a painful condition and shows by poor she'll development, walking low to the ground instead of on tip toes amongst other things.

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:39 AM

eek, how terrible I didn't know this.  I thought it was ok for her to wander around the house.  in the summer she ate her own home grown weeds which I grew specifically for the torts.  now she is eating little gem, some pak choi, cucumber, courgettes.  I bath her twice a week.

Hi, no they don't want to be walking around the house, this can be quite stressful for them, it's best to leave them in there enclosure at all times, what enclosure do you have for her, a table or vivarium, I would try not to feed the pak choi, cucumber and courgettes and try florets crispy salad instead, you can also still find weeds about at the minute, you just need to look for them. :)

Have you never thought of hibernating her through the winter. :)

#7 Nicky

Nicky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 11:04 AM

Omg, I feel terrible you read and hear so much. She is 4 years and 3 months I didn't think you hibernated them until they were about 6 anyway. She is in a nice tortoise enclosure and has a uv light on all day and a red infared at night. I have grown weeds for her she is not keen though. She has never really lifted off the ground very much actually. She has a cites paper and is macedonian. I was aware her she'll was raised but hoped over time it would flatten out. What's MBD?
Nx

#8 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:34 PM

Hi there. If in doubt always think about the wild and what they would have there. hibernation takes place from birth, so they need this to assist with good growth. Also essential for good growth is vit D and you don't say if you are using this. If not then your tortoise is at risk of MBD or metabolic bone disease. This can be fatal if it goes on too long. Being solid, the shell will not smooth out once the damage is done and future growth will follow on the same lines. Being an imported tortoise you will probably not have had good advice as most are wild caught or farmed with the sole aim of raising money sadly. Macedonia is a well known trading point for torts for the pet trade.

#9 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:42 PM

Meant to say you do not need heating at night. Cool temps overnight are essential to good healthy growth. Imagine the wild where it is really cold at night at ground level, this needs to be mimicked as much as possible.

#10 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:25 AM

Omg, I feel terrible you read and hear so much. She is 4 years and 3 months I didn't think you hibernated them until they were about 6 anyway. She is in a nice tortoise enclosure and has a uv light on all day and a red infared at night. I have grown weeds for her she is not keen though. She has never really lifted off the ground very much actually. She has a cites paper and is macedonian. I was aware her she'll was raised but hoped over time it would flatten out. What's MBD?
Nx

Hi Nicky,

It will be a lot better for her if you can feed her the weeds most of the time, I know you say she's not keen on them but if you don't give her the choice of other foods she'll start to eat them, they can be quite stubborn, but if you offer them every day she'll soon start to eat them. :)

#11 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 27 December 2014 - 11:43 AM

Hi Nicky,
It will be a lot better for her if you can feed her the weeds most of the time, I know you say she's not keen on them but if you don't give her the choice of other foods she'll start to eat them, they can be quite stubborn, but if you offer them every day she'll soon start to eat them. :)

That's right, the key is in our hand, it's a bit like babies and chocolate. I had a pup that was in awful condition with mange and other problems. Nothing helped, so I changed her to raw meat. She didn't want to swap the nice coloured biscuity stuff for something she had to work hard to eat, but now she prefers it to anything and has condition hat everyone comments on, which we did with no drugs etc. always look at what they would have in the wild for your missing clues ;)

#12 Nicky

Nicky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 05:32 PM

thanks for your help.  I have been looking back at pictures of when I first got her Aug 2012 and she was quite humped on top then, so I don't think she had a good start anyway.  She has had weeds today and calcium powder and she will have to get used to it lol..

thanks for your help have you got pictures of your torties?

#13 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 27 December 2014 - 06:56 PM

Got lots of pics on my pc, when I get onto it. Not all,my torts are perfect though as many of them are rescues, so already grown too fast. Will put some on when I get the chance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users