• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 fronny

fronny

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:27 PM

Hello everyone. We are new to this and have just got our first baby Herman from a local breeder. He is kept on a soil and sand substrate in a small table (he is just a few months old). He has light and UVA and we are bathing him daily. The problem for us is that we are keen to raise him on a leaf and weed based diet but so far all he has been given are kimodo pellets. Have tried him on salad leaf mix and dandelion but he is not interested. He seems to be quite a small eater but pellets are all he wants. Don't want to offer leaves only in case he starves himself. Thoughts??

#2 fronny

fronny

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:28 PM

When I say he has light, I mean a basking light.

#3 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:37 PM

The key to this problem is in your hands. Did the breeder not give you comprehensive care plans for him? When my babies go to new homes the first thing I say is to never ever offer junk food such as pellet diet, as these have additives that are addictive. Just bin them and start again as it is early days. He needs uvb not just uva, to convert his calcium uptake to D3. What weight is he? He won't starve himself if he is healthy and so long as you give him regular warm baths he will be fine for several weeks without food until he comes around to being a normal tortoise. I'd avoid sand and just stick to soil to be honest as sand grains can cause eye problems.
Good luck.

#4 fronny

fronny

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the advice - the light is uva and uvb. The problem was that the breeder had raised him on pellets as they could not get him to eat leaf. I'm just worried he will go on hunger strike without the pellets but will give it a go. Thanks.

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:33 PM

Hi welcome to the forum. :)

I don't think I've heard of any breeders that would feed these pellets, but obviously your has, im the same as Sue I tell all the new owners of my babies never to feed these, your tort is still very young so you can still give him a good start but by doing this he does need to be on a weed diet, tortoises can be very stubborn and will hold out some time for the junk food, as long as you don't give in and offer him weeds every day he'll soon come round and start eating them, he wont starve, just make sure you give regular baths. :)  

#6 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:06 PM

I've not heard of a breeder doing this either. Was it just someone breeding from a couple of their own tortoises. Very often subspecies are mixed by inexperienced breeders and these offspring can become weakly. I'd appreciate if you took a moment to check the tortsmad breeders list to see if this breeder is on the list, as it would seem they are not giving very good advice really. If only a few months old then he will be still less than around twenty grams or so, so I would increase his temps if they are too low and increase his warm baths and just offer the leaves, as these pellets will not be doing his kidneys any favours, being high in protein.

#7 fronny

fronny

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:30 PM

Thanks for the advice. I have kept bathing and have decreased pellets and increased weeds. Today he (?) has been eating his mazuma heartily, really ripping and tearing at the leaves! Can now stop the pellets as he is eating as he should. What pot type plants apart from winter pansy can I feed him? I have some dandelions in pots growing on but guess he would like a bit of variety. There are some roses still holding bloom - can he eat them?

#8 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:19 PM

Hi, Fronny, welcome to the forum. 

When it comes to feeding torts, your best bet is to refer to the Tortoise Table website; they have a database of over a thousand plants and weeds with a detailed description and a colour-coding as to their suitability for feeding. Here's a link to their site with a reference to roses:

http://www.thetortoi...=main&catID=654

It's an excellent website, and it's really worth using it to find out what you can and cannot feed to your little tortoises.

Hope this is of some help.

#9 LauraClaira

LauraClaira

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:14 PM

Hi ! In addition to our post re tortoise table ;
We've just brought home our little 5 month old baby Eastern Hermann
Unexpectedly, the seemingly lovely responsible experienced breeder sent our little Watson home with a bag of pelleted feed : /
I've done plenty of reading, unless there's a new trend I thought pellets were to be avoided ?
It's 'Mazuri' - any experience or feedback on this brand ?
Assuming we'll be 'weaning' Watson off this food (which he/she seems to LOVE) any suggestions ? 'Cold turkey'?

#10 fronny

fronny

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:07 PM

Many thanks, it's an excellent resource. Have favourite if for reference.

#11 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:34 PM

I'd definitely avoid the pellets, they are just habit forming junk food. Yes cold turkey will be fine unless he has been fed nothing else in which case, chop up his dandelions etc and mix them in, gradually reducing them,then give whole leaves, which are essential to prevent overgrown beaks and weak muscles from existing on mushy food.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users