sneezes

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_torty_less_*

Guest_torty_less_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 11:58 AM

hi i woke up this mornin n when i was havin a look at my torts i noticed my little hermanns was makin a funny sort "cheep" sound like a sneeze n she was wipin her face with her front legs quite a bit, do torts catch cold frm people cos ive just had a cold over the past few weeks n wondered if there was any chance of them catchin tht cos my torts live in my bedroom ???

#2 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 03:10 PM

Hello Dan
I wouldn't like to say yes or no
Hermanns rarely get rns, so i'm asking you what sort of substrate do you have, this time of year they tend to bury down and get stuff up their nares, if it's sand and soil then change to Hemp and get it on a course of anti-biotics asap and keep it away from the others in case it is the herpes strain and they all get it
Arnie

#3 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 04:45 PM

No you can't give your cold to a tortoise. Your cold is a viral infection and a respitory infection in a tortoise is bacterial infection.

#4 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 04:51 PM

Yeah I don't think humans can pass their colds onto their tortoises but if you think the tortoise may be unwell don't hesitate to take him to a vet. If he gets worse over Christmas then a vet will charge more, they always seem to over holiday periods, some add surcharges for this and that, so get down there before they have an excuse to bump up the price. lol:)

#5 Guest_torty_less_*

Guest_torty_less_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 05:44 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 21-12-05 AT 05:46 PM (GMT)]im usin the dried vegetable substance the one tht is dried out sweetcorn, maizy i think its called. i think ill just wait and see how it goes for tomorrow cos the tort is still eating nrml and i havent heard any more noises tonight and its never had any sort of runny nose. so ill just see how it goes over the next couple of days before rushin to the vets for tht increased holiday bill :o , thanks

#6 Guest_torty_less_*

Guest_torty_less_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 05:49 PM

heres a link to the substrate i use cos nobody reely seems to hav come across it before
http://www.petcentre...product~457.htm

#7 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 05:54 PM

Dan, I've just had a look but I've never even seen this sold. If you want to make really sure the tortoise is not sick and that it's the substrate making it's nose run just put them onto newspaper for a few days to see. My friend had this advice from a vet when one of hers had a runny nose, it turned out to be the substrate, she saved herself alot of worry. hope this helps.:o

#8 Guest_torty_less_*

Guest_torty_less_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 06:19 PM

ok thanks sounds like a good idea omare. ill have to give it a try :-)

#9 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 06:18 PM

Most keepers have heard of this substrate but know its not suitable for tortoises. Sorry but true.

#10 Guest_torty_less_*

Guest_torty_less_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 06:31 PM

Most keepers have heard of this substrate but know its not suitable for tortoises. Sorry but true.

why would u say it was unsuitable??

#11 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 06:39 PM

Well we are tortoise keepers and we've never heard of it. :o

#12 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:47 PM

Dan as i have already said this is a product unsuitable for tortoises
1; It is sold as edible but is so hard its almost undigestable for tortoises it blocks the digestive tract.
2;It contains small particals that can become lodged in the nostrils
3;Tortoises need some humidity in there enclosuer this stuff when damp becomes mouldy very quickly and causes repirtory problems .
I would strongly advise you to change the substrate as omare has said use newspaper if nothing else is avialable till you can get a better tortoise friendly substrate

#13 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 09:52 PM

Hello Dan
I bought a bag nearly as big as a bale of hay last week from an horse outlet shop, the bedding is called hemp, but it is known by the name of Aubiose I bought the English version, not the French, as it's much cleaner, it cost me 6.80
Much cheaper and safer for your tortoise
All you need do is log onto Yell.com, type in horse supplys for your area and see what comes up, that's how I found mine, they also sell large tubs of Lime stone flour that is the same as Calcium, a big tub cost me under 5.00
So you'll not only give your tortoise a better substrate you'll save money too
Arnie

#14 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 09:51 PM

Piglet said it all.

#15 Guest_torty_less_*

Guest_torty_less_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 11:42 PM

ok thanks guys ill have to look into getting some hemp, it sounds like its going to be more tort friendly than the suff i have. i wont loose tht much money gettin rid of the stuff i hav cos tht was all under 10. thanks for ur help

#16 Guest_kirsty10_*

Guest_kirsty10_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:31 PM

I had 50/50 sand/soil and archie was burrowing and sneezing and wiping his face. I moved him on to newspaper on friday. He is still doing it occassionally how long do you think it will take to settle down?? He's not got a runny nose and is eating. Do you think he needs to go to the vet??

#17 Guest_johnnytortoise_*

Guest_johnnytortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:37 PM

why are they chaining up their ferrets?

#18 Guest_johnnytortoise_*

Guest_johnnytortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2006 - 08:20 PM

http://www.petcentre...product~457.htm

on the picture i mean. it's sick!

#19 Guest_kirsty10_*

Guest_kirsty10_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:15 PM

I think your being funny?? :+ but just in case you're not they are tubs that hang in their cages attached by chains :o Dry comedy doesn't translate well on the net so sorry if I have pointed out the obvious. So anyway what should I do about archie's sneezies??:o

#20 Guest_johnnytortoise_*

Guest_johnnytortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:23 AM

yeah ok i didn't really think it was ferret s and m but i was a little confused

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users