6 replies to this topic

#1 Tilly_tortoise_123

Tilly_tortoise_123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:12 PM

Hi,
My 1 year old tortoise doesn't come out of her house in a morning and I have to wake her up. To do this I put her in a warm bath and then place her under a warm UV heat lamp. The temperature of her house in the morning in winter is usually 22-26 degrees. Am I doing the right thing by waking her up or should I just leave her to wake herself up?
Thanks.

#2 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:51 AM

Her overnight temps need to be much lower so she can have a change in metabolic rate, which helps provide smooth growth. If he/she is too warm overnight it can cause confusion and not behaving normally. No heat is needed overnight.

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 05:54 AM

Hi Tilly,

As Sue has already said, they do need a drop in temperature over night, I think if you also make a few changes to your tortoise table by removing the sleeping area, you'll find she'll start waking up better on her own, also they do need some time to settle into a new enclosure. :)

#4 Tilly_tortoise_123

Tilly_tortoise_123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:37 AM

Hi,
The temperature over night drops to about 16-20 degrees. I heard that in winter they take longer to wake up. Should I wake her up or leave her to wake herself up?

#5 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:24 AM

Hi
Thats half the reason why she isnt waking up in the mornings,at night i would be trying to get the tempts down low as poss below 15c and when morning comes and tempts increase by a good margin then this will kick start to get up and bask and feed

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:27 AM

Hi,
The temperature over night drops to about 16-20 degrees. I heard that in winter they take longer to wake up. Should I wake her up or leave her to wake herself up?

Hi my babies wake up on their own even this time of year, I never have to wake any of them, there up pretty much straight away when the lights go on, it would be better for her to wake her self as it's more natural for her, but I think you might find she'll struggle to do this if she's sleeping in the sleeping area provided. :)

#7 Tilly_tortoise_123

Tilly_tortoise_123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:28 AM

Thank you I will try to turn off her light earlier so that it gets colder during the night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users