• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Tilly_tortoise_123

Tilly_tortoise_123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:01 PM

Here are a few pictures of Tilly. I also included a picture of her tortoise table and basking lamp.Attached File  image.jpg   73.6KB   1 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   43.23KB   3 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   37.58KB   2 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   23.41KB   1 downloads

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 05:39 AM

Hi Tilly, welcome to the forum. :)

Tilly's lovely, did you get her from a breeder or pet shop. :)

I hope you don't mind me saying this but I think Tilly would benefit if you could make a few changes to your tort table, if I were you I would take out the upper level as they serve no purpose, the ramp seems to be taking up all the table space, tortoises need a lot of space to roam around even as hatchlings, also sleeping area's are not needed, as it's best for your tort to dig down in the substrate on a night, they don't need and form of bedding like straw or hay as this does more harm than good, also the area under the upper level is too dark, tortoises need plenty of light. :)

#3 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:29 AM

I agree, ramps are the opposite of what they need, as sleeping areas are naturally below ground level and going upstairs is alien to them. Tortoises are very much wild animals and even though they will get used to you as the provider, they don't adapt well to having mammal type enclosures. They need light, light and even more light :) hay and straw is just a human thing as being cold blooded it doesn't keep them warm, just leaves them open to respiratory problems. Otherwise you are doing fine.

#4 Tilly_tortoise_123

Tilly_tortoise_123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:33 AM

Hi
Thanks for replying. When we bought her from a pet shot they put her in a box with straw inside which we took out of her tortoise table as we thought it was giving her a cold. Since we took it out she's been fine. We have the ramp so that she can climb and she loves to go up and down. There is a cattle fish bone in the top section and this is mainly where she goes to sleep.
I will think about removing the top section while she is young.
Thanks again.

#5 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:43 AM

It's easy to misinterpret a torts behaviour. Going up and down the ramp does not necessarily mean she loves it, but more likely to be sign of stress as she is looking for a lighter ground level area. Stress equates to illness eventually, so if it was me I would be looking for something more natural. Lots of people make the mistake of making a habitat that is appealing to humans, but end up making changes further down the line when behaviour causes other problems. Hope this helps ;) I'd def be offering her areas to dig down in to sleep as sleeping in dry above ground areas contributes to poor she'll growth, which is starting to show on her she'll already. Hope this doesn't offend, just trying to help.

#6 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:57 AM

[quote name="SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)" post="62255" timestamp="1419936216"]It's easy to misinterpret a torts behaviour. Going up and down the ramp does not necessarily mean she loves it, but more likely to be sign of stress as she is looking for a lighter ground level area. Stress equates to illness eventually, so if it was me I would be looking for something more natural. Lots of people make the mistake of making a habitat that is appealing to humans, but end up making changes further down the line when behaviour causes other problems. Hope this helps ;) I'd def be offering her areas to dig down in to sleep as sleeping in dry above ground areas contributes to poor she'll growth, which is starting to show on her she'll already. Hope this doesn't offend, just trying to help.[/quote

Apologies, ipad is auto changing shell to she'll lol

#7 Tilly_tortoise_123

Tilly_tortoise_123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:21 AM

Hi,
She doesn't go up and down the ramp continuously. She goes up to get shade and comes down again as she pleases. What appears to be wrong with her shell? The pink stripe is nail polish put there by the pet shop owners to show she had been sold.
Thanks.

#8 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:19 PM

As mentioned, this is totally alien to what they have evolved to do as they naturally dig down to get shade/ cooler temps. You will be helping your tortoises massively by removing the ramp and using the top area for storing its stuff, or even removing it altogether. I know it's a pain as you got what you thought was a good enclosure, unfortunately it will cause problems later on. The shell shows areas of natural growth as in the wild and then a deep ridge which is where care changed at some point and possibly lack of moisture. Not given deep soil to dig into overnight will continue this ridge which will lead to pyramiding as opposed to good smooth growth ;) this can be totally stopped at this age but the deformities will be irreversible once they have formed.

#9 Tilly_tortoise_123

Tilly_tortoise_123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:27 PM

She has deeper burying areas they just don't show well on the pictures. I may remove the top section while she is young. The tortoise table was home made. Her shell seems fine, the pictures had an effect on them so maybe this has altered the image. I will try to take more pictures of her if you would like.

#10 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:46 PM

The substrate needs to be a few inches deep to hold moisture and to be able to digg down disappearing completley.the ramp isnt natural or the bed area,i would take this out as been mentioned and use rocks and mounds to climb over
Regards matt

#11 Tilly_tortoise_123

Tilly_tortoise_123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:50 PM

Thanks Matt. I will think about it.

#12 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:52 PM

Noworries :) just think nature

#13 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:55 PM

Hi. I am new to this forum and this is my first quote. I have been following the content of many forum threads. From my experience you wont go far wrong of you follow the advice give by Sue Boyle. I am of the opinion that there is always new to learn from other people's experience. Anyway thats me. I would also water the substrate on a regular basis.

#14 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:14 PM

That is always what I aim for pompeypoole, to help others through my own and others experiences. The website too, is built with beginners in mind and uses various experiences to try help others. When I first had Wizza, over thirty years ago I thought I had done the correct research before letting my own children have one of these lovely creatures. In truth, it's a wonder poor old Wizza is still here and had he been a youngster, he certainly would not be. We started off learning by our own mistakes and eventually having help from a good vet, when he was not very well. From there I volunteered at sanctuaries abroad, taking lots of pics and tortoise watching in the wild, which helped no end and now that Wizza is father to most of my hatchlings, I hope I can help others not to make the same mistakes that I did. I have also been fortunate enough to have a vet who lets me be involved in the care of any rehomers I have which need veterinary care at the beginning and again this involvement has helped no end. We are all always learning, but the longer we learn, the more sense it all makes and the easier it gets. Thanks for your comments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users