Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:51 AM

Do you have pics?

#22 Collette

Collette

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:33 PM

Here's some piccies of my baby. I've included one with her sunken eye, it's breaks my heart! We have drops for it, the vet said she's irritated it and it will calm down :)

Attached Files

#23 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:22 PM

She looks as though she may be slightly dehydrated, this can cause eye problems. Do you soak her daily or water her substrate? She looks to have grown very fast at some point, but that is different to overweight.

#24 Collette

Collette

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:34 PM

Oh really? How can you see dehydration? I have bathed her every morning for half an hour since Sunday. Yesterday twice and today I soaked her three times as i hadnt seen her drink (or eat) since bringing her home. This evening she had a sip whilst having a soak, which was great. I read dehydration can cause this, but the other eye is fine and the vet said something seemed to have irritated it. She has been a little more active today which has been lovely :)

#25 Collette

Collette

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:35 PM

She has play sand and soil in her home, should we damp this? I read if her floor is too damp it can cause respiratory problems or even shell rot? (Thank you for all your help!)

#26 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:53 PM

Her substrate looks very dry and her she'll shows some irregular growth pattern. Sunken eyes are often a sign of dehydration. It's likely the sand has got into her eye as sand in this country is very different to that in the wild and very irritating to tortoises. I just use topsoil for mine. Watered substrate does not cause she'll rot or respiratory problems so long as they have a dry basking area. In the wild humidity is very high overnight at ground level.

#27 Collette

Collette

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:00 PM

Thank you I will grab the bag of soil back in. It comes very damp in the bag, I left it spread out on trays for a few days to dry before putting it in to her table, would she be ok with it damp then? So perhaps she was over fed at some point. Poor little baby

#28 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:15 PM

It's important that it IS damp below the surface and only dry on top, like a pot plant.

#29 Collette

Collette

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:23 PM

Thank you. How would I maintain that?

#30 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:24 PM

You would water it as you would a plant pot and the top dries out leaving the bottom damp, just the same as a garden is damper when you dig down and dry on top ;)

#31 Collette

Collette

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:52 AM

Thank you :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users