8 replies to this topic

#1 emasen

emasen

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Sewing, Reading, knitting, gym-workout, family-time🍷

Posted 01 January 2015 - 10:07 PM

Hello, I am hoping to add a tortoise to our family in the very near future!!

I had a tortoise as a child (30+yrs ago) who lived out in the garden.
I've longed for a tortoise for all my adult years but having a young family/other pets made it not possible.

Recently I felt very impulsive (broody) & looked at a online advert from a local petshop, offering starter set-up (vivarium) & tortoise for £199. Thankfully my head over-ruled my impulsiveness & I started doing lots of researching.. Which brought me to your forum. (Fantastic forum)

I am in West Yorkshire & have been looking for a breeder but have not found one close-by, could someone please recommend one?

We are very excited & are starting to make plans for my husband to build the indoor & outdoor houses.

Happy New Year
emasen x

#2 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2015 - 09:22 AM

Welcome to the forum and well done for doing your research first. As you have probably found, things have changed mainly for the better in recent years, although there are still unscrupulous dealers willing to make a quick 'killing' at many pet shops and reptile outlets. You will get good advice here without anyone trying to rip you off in any way. Most of us breeders will do the opposite and show you how to keep them happily with much cheaper housing than vivariums, heat mats etc.
I have some of my baby hermanns from 2014 available in a few weeks ( in hibernation right now) but might be too far away in North Shropshire) although I do travel up to Manchester area very often. This is how I keep mine www.tortsmad.com There are other recommended breeders too in the North, depending on what species you are looking for.
Good luck ;)

#3 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 02 January 2015 - 03:05 PM

Hi and welcome :)
if you go on the advice that Sue gives you and see how she cares for and keep hers you wont go wrong :)
If kept correctly tortoise keeping can be simple :)

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 04:15 AM

Hello, I am hoping to add a tortoise to our family in the very near future!!

I had a tortoise as a child (30+yrs ago) who lived out in the garden.
I've longed for a tortoise for all my adult years but having a young family/other pets made it not possible.

Recently I felt very impulsive (broody) & looked at a online advert from a local petshop, offering starter set-up (vivarium) & tortoise for £199. Thankfully my head over-ruled my impulsiveness & I started doing lots of researching.. Which brought me to your forum. (Fantastic forum)

I am in West Yorkshire & have been looking for a breeder but have not found one close-by, could someone please recommend one?

We are very excited & are starting to make plans for my husband to build the indoor & outdoor houses.

Happy New Year
emasen x

Hi welcome to the forum. :)

It's really good to see you doing your research first, if you can arrange to meet up with Sue some where you wont go wrong with her babies and the after care she provides. :)

#5 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2015 - 02:22 PM

Hi and welcome

I am new also and I am a new owner of a tortoise!!!

Samantha

#6 emasen

emasen

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 06:06 PM

Hello all, Thankyou for the lovely warm welcome

Hi Sue, it is the Hermann species that we have been researching and would like to home. We have had a good read of your tortoise-lady website and would be so honoured to have one of your hatchlings.
Thank you so much, I will private message you.

Best wishes
emasen x

#7 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 03 January 2015 - 06:18 PM

Hi there

The tortoise lady website is not mine, are you getting me mixed up with someone else? Will look at your PM ;)

#8 emasen

emasen

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 06:33 PM

Oops.. Sorry Sue, I had so many link open I typed in the wrong web-address. Apologies x

#9 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 03 January 2015 - 07:01 PM

Ha ha, could have been much worse lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users