30 replies to this topic

#21 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:06 AM

Just a little update. Derek has been in hibernation for four weeks now. I have had a little peek on him each week but resisted disturbing him. I have however weighed him today and I am pleased to say he has only lost 1gram so far, so hopefully all will be well in another four weeks.

For anyone who was interested in how the lucky herp fridge has been, it has continued to maintain 5-6 degrees consistently.

In relation to Derek's winding down period, he did begin to do this naturally himself. We noticed that he wasn't eating as much and wasn't as active, so it was clear to us that he was ready to prepare for hibernation.

That's good to hear Becca, as Sue has said the next 4 weeks will be over before you know it. :)

#22 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:47 AM

Just a little update. Derek has been in hibernation for four weeks now. I have had a little peek on him each week but resisted disturbing him. I have however weighed him today and I am pleased to say he has only lost 1gram so far, so hopefully all will be well in another four weeks.

For anyone who was interested in how the lucky herp fridge has been, it has continued to maintain 5-6 degrees consistently.

In relation to Derek's winding down period, he did begin to do this naturally himself. We noticed that he wasn't eating as much and wasn't as active, so it was clear to us that he was ready to prepare for hibernation.

Hi Becca,

Sounds like everything is going well.. I will be looking to do fridge method hibernation next year and the 'Lucky Herp' is a possible method so I will be keeping an eye on your progress. :)

#23 Becca

Becca

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:13 PM

Only one week to go til we wake Derek up and we cant wait! Checked on him yesterday and he is fine, no weight loss. Got new light bulbs and soil for his table in preparation for him waking 😊

The lucky herp fridge has been consistent throughout the 7weeks if using the in/out thermometer as a reading. Although the fridge states it has risen to around 8degrees, the instructions do state that the temperature can vary up to 3degrees from top to bottom,so we have relied on the in/out thermometer which is on the shelf next to Derek. This has stayed at 5-6 degrees.

🐢

#24 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:07 PM

That's really good news Becca, it's always good to get feedback on fridges, hibernators etc

#25 crotchetybear

crotchetybear

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises, my dogs, animal welfare, conservation and environment, wildlife and travel.

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:25 PM

Thanks for keeping us up to date with your experience with the Lucky Herp fridge - I'm glad it's all gone well.

My young torts completed their hibernation in the alternative fridge (and have been up a month now) but I will try the Lucky Herp again next year. As previously stated, I think there might have been an issue with air flow around the hibernation box inside the fridge and I also wonder if the fluctuating ambient temp in the conservatory, where I'd set up the Lucky Herp, was an issue. After I took the box out, and moved the fridge to a different location, temperature stability improved.

You'll be glad to have Derek back with you next week. Although my youngsters are up I still have my adult asleep (I use the box method with him as it's served him well for over 40 years) and expect to be getting him up in 2-3 weeks time.

Chris

#26 Becca

Becca

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:51 PM

The box we have Derek in is a toddlers shoe box so there is sufficient space for air circulation, that might have been your issue.

The temperature of the room we have the fridge in does fluctuate during day and night, usually between 12degrees at night and 20degrees during day but I don't think it has really made that much difference, maybe if your conservatory temps fluctuate more it could have had an impact? Hopefully, you will get to the bottom of it and it will work better next time.

#27 crotchetybear

crotchetybear

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises, my dogs, animal welfare, conservation and environment, wildlife and travel.

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:16 AM

Yes, I had the two in one box, which took up most of the upper shelf with very little room for air circulation. Next year they will have separate, smaller boxes. Also, the ambient temp in the conservatory dropped quite low during the night on a couple of occasions, which probably triggered the heater mechanism as the unit would be trying to maintain 5 degrees. Noting your ambient temps, and my readings since, it's clearly better to locate it in a warmer area.

Many thanks for your feedback,

Chris

#28 Becca

Becca

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:10 PM

Hi all, I'm pleased to say Derek is up!

I forgot to weigh him this morning before he had something to eat so will have to remember tomorrow. I know this wont be quite accurate now that he's eaten but would like to keep records for next time.

He's had two long baths, one this morn and one this afternoon and has drank plenty but hasn't had a wee yet.

We feel like the hibernation went well but so glad he's back!

🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢

#29 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:15 PM

That's good to hear Becca, it's lovely having them back up. :)

#30 Becca

Becca

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:16 PM

Derek weighed 77g this morning, so I would suggest there was minimal if any weight loss during hibernation.

He still hasn't had a wee or poo - is this normal?

#31 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:01 PM

Remember how long it took to empty him Becca? Well it takes a while to fill back up again, so could be a while before it happens ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users