Hibernating

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:14 PM

Hi
I have been reading the forum now for a week or so and the more I read about hibernating and fridges the more I don't like the sound of it.
I know it is normal for them to hibernate and I know all of you hibernate your tortoises but I can't even stand the thought of putting little Elsie in the fridge.. the thought makes me feel really sick . So this brings me to my question

Am I a horrid tortoise owner if I don't hibernate little Elsie ???

Samantha

#2 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:16 PM

Ps: please don't shout at me for asking because I am not suggesting that anyone who hibernates their tortoise is bad . I just want to know will it make me a bad owner if I don't do it

#3 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:38 PM

It's in the best interest of your tortoise to hibernate..I intend to use the fridge method for Jerry from next winter. It is the method where you have the most control of temperature. Yeah, it does seem daunting but your tortoise will be happier and healthier in the long run..I'm sure that when the time comes you/we will have plenty of support as newbies.

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:30 AM

Hi
I have been reading the forum now for a week or so and the more I read about hibernating and fridges the more I don't like the sound of it.
I know it is normal for them to hibernate and I know all of you hibernate your tortoises but I can't even stand the thought of putting little Elsie in the fridge.. the thought makes me feel really sick . So this brings me to my question

Am I a horrid tortoise owner if I don't hibernate little Elsie ???

Samantha

Hi Tillie,

I think at 1st the whole hibernation thing seems scary, and you think I wont see my tort for all these weeks etc, and putting my tort in the fridge for 8 weeks is mad and im not sure I can do that. :)  the thing is hibernating your tort over winter is beneficial for your tort, it's just what they do in nature, and helps prevent fast growth and you do see a big difference in them when they wake up in spring, their full of life. :)

I used the fridge method for hibernating for a lot of years and it works really well as the temperatures are controlled and stay a steady 5c and their weight lose is minimal, this is maybe some thing you could look at again later in the year when your more confident, do more research and ask questions and see how you feel then. :)

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:34 AM

Ps: please don't shout at me for asking because I am not suggesting that anyone who hibernates their tortoise is bad . I just want to know will it make me a bad owner if I don't do it

We never shout. :)  you might feel different about things at a later date, it doesn't make you a bad owner at all, just a new one learning. :)

You might find this helpful. http://www.tortsmad....hibernation.htm. :)

#6 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:26 AM

Hi

Thankyou for all the replies. I think you might be right that it is best to hibernate tortoises and I have a responsibility to little Elsie to do what is best for her. I talked to my dad about hibernation an he I should listen to you all as you all have been doing this for a very long time an you all know what you are doing.
I am sorry if I made anyone cross with my question

Samantha

#7 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:39 PM

The thing to always keep in mind when thinking what is best for your tortoise, is that it is a cold blooded reptile and not a mammal and although we as humans naturally lean to keeping warm and cosy in winter it's just not what a tortoise has evolved to do. It's taken millions of years for them to evolve this way and it's not until man came along and tried to change things that they started to have problems. You will never see a wild tortoise with the problems that pet ones have, this is solely because we are looking at them from the wrong aspect. Most good vets will tell you that the tortoises they see are either those that have had 'accidents' or those that are not being cared for properly.
So, no, you are not a bad owner, just a new owner who has yet to look at your pet through different eyes ;)
Good luck and we are always here to help you :)

#8 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:45 PM

Thank you SueBoyle. I am trying my very hardest to make sure little Elsie feels like she is wild and loved too x

Ps: my dad asked me to ask you if you are " the " Susan Boyle!?!?!?!

Samantha xx

#9 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:08 PM

Haha. I work with the elderly and always sing when helping them out, so they think it's really funny. One of them bought me Susan Boyles CD last year for Christmas. I waited a respectable time and gave it to the charity shop. Hospital visits are a nightmare and I swear they shout my name out louder than usual for a laugh. Even the passport check people do a double take at airports lol wish I had her money, then I wouldn't have to keep working to support my animals :)

#10 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:43 PM

Hahahahahahaha !! a www poor you

Not sure why my dad wanted to know....dear god I hope it isn't that he fancies susan Boyle!!!!!..

Samantha xx

#11 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:46 PM

Oh my word, that would be an odd person indeed lol

#12 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:52 PM

I'm not really sure how long you have kept them Ozric, but in over thirty years I've never found it easy to prevent tortoises from hibernating, Bru ating or whatever we wish to call the torpid period. I would therefore say that those of us who do hibernate our torts are more forcing anynbadvconditions upon them but responding to their requirements to do what they have evolved to do over so many years. It's worked for me and mine with no,mishaps over this period, whereas on the odd occasion I have attempted to overwinter a tortoise it has been far from easy and near on impossible at times when one is away from home forany length of time. Just my take on things obviously. I do think though that you underestimate the experience of a lot of long term keepers.

#13 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:53 PM

Hi Ozric,

I disagree. I believe we should follow a tortoises natural cycle and hibernate. I have no intention of shouting you down for your views which you are quite entitled too but I do hope we can have a reasonable and responsible discussion about the matter. By the way welcome back to the forum.

It's long overdue. :)

Kind Regards

Freddy :D

#14 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:58 PM

Hi ozric
Everyone is entitled to their own views and its good to have a goid discussion :)
My opinion each tortoise species have evolved over millions of years to adapt to their for ever changing enviroments which ever part of the world they live in thats why they are still around today so that shows they are hardy animals,my point is that med torts have evolved over millions of years to go in to brumation to cope with the bad winters when tempts are not suitable so why is it right that us humans can change this in any shape of form if they have done this for so long,its going to have an effect on their lifespan and quality of life.

#15 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:37 AM

Hi everyone is entitled to there own view's when it comes to hibernation, just in the same way that's it the choice of every owner to decide if they would like to hibernate or not, we can only offer advice the final decision is there own, we in no way force this. :) I believe hibernation is the best thing to do over winter and there is no way I could keep my horsfields awake, this forum is a friendly forum not one for debates and heated discussions, as we have young keepers and new keepers on here, and we want them to be confident in asking questions. :)

Im sorry but this topic is now closed. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users