• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hercules

Hercules

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:44 AM

Hi we are new tortoise owners and have a baby Hermann called Hercules.  He was 'born' on 4th July this year.

I have taken a couple of pictures of weeds growing in my garden and wonder if someone could let me know if they are edible for Hercules.  The first one I think is prickly sow thistle? (He loves smooth sow thistle).  Our breeder said he is fine to eat rose petals and rather strangely I have one in flower! Hercules seems to love them.

Also how often should he have the calcium (Exo terra) powder? Do I dip all food in it every day?

Thank you

Louise

Attached File  IMG_0942.jpg   128.13KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0943.JPG   70.3KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0944.JPG   42.05KB   0 downloads

Also we were told to get an exo terra lamp with 150w daylight basking spot bulb.  Is this correct please?

#2 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:50 PM

Hi and welcome

I am new also so my knowledge is limited. But you sure are in the best place to find things out. Have a good read around the forum till someone comes online an replies.

Your little tortoise looks so sweet

Samantha

#3 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:51 PM

Hi
Yes the prickly sow this is fine,in fact very good for them also rose petals are fine too :)the second pic im unsure of but i dont think its edible.
With the calcium suppliment,being a young tort andbeing kept inside if needs to be springled on its food daily but a very fine dusting.ive never used the exo terra but i know use the Necton MSA powder which Sue sugested and i will never turn back now as i used to use nutribol wich is also a good daily supliment

Regards matt

#4 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:05 AM

The second pic is buttercup, often listed as toxic but new leaves are fine for tortoises. My tortoises cleared a whole overrun garden of them and are all 100% healthy. These are mature leaves, so best not fed deliberately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users