Elsie Hates Me

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:45 PM

Hi

I think little Elsie hates me. Whenever I go near her she makes a noise like a hissing . She had a lovely warm bath today and I dried her with extra soft toilet tissue and I gave her a snack after of a blimmin weed I had searched all morning for and I gave it to her and she made the noise. She doesn't make it when dad touches her. I am always very gentle and I only have small hands compared to dads big rough furry hands.

What am I doing to make her hate me😞

#2 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:57 PM

I don't mean I searched for one weed. I meant a bunch of dandilion leaves.

#3 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:06 PM

The hissing noise you can hear is  air being expelled through the nostrils when she quickly brings her head in..I'm sure she doesn't hate you..She's just getting used to things and will soon get used to you. Always try to handle her as little as possible. A good thing to do is stroke her carapace (upper shell) before you pick her up. She will eventually learn that she is then about to be picked up and won't be so startled by it.

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:21 PM

Hi

I think little Elsie hates me. Whenever I go near her she makes a noise like a hissing . She had a lovely warm bath today and I dried her with extra soft toilet tissue and I gave her a snack after of a blimmin weed I had searched all morning for and I gave it to her and she made the noise. She doesn't make it when dad touches her. I am always very gentle and I only have small hands compared to dads big rough furry hands.

What am I doing to make her hate me

Hi, also after a bath you don't need to dry her you can just put her back in her enclosure and let her dry naturally. :)

#5 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:39 PM

Ah ok Thankyou jerrymaffz and mildredsmam i understand. I won't dry her anymore either I didn't want her to catch a cold .

The lady in the village where I got Elsie sits in her garden chair and her tortoises all go too her it was like watching a secret gathering of tortoises and owner. But they are very old so maybe they are use to her . I hope Elsie gets to know me

#6 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2015 - 03:30 PM

As others have said, she is just getting used to you. The hiss is not a personal thing, just surprised withdrawal of the head and legs. My torts come running when they see me come home, but not because they love me, just because I usually have a bag of weeds with me lol it would be nice to think they cared :)

#7 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:21 PM

I agree. My creep see legs and feet and shuffle round for the best position. I liken them to children......you know when you are doing something interesting children gather around to watch and 'help'.....well that is just what torts do. Except they are expecting food!!!! It can be very entertaining when I am doing anything in Tort Lodge Gardens, they just want to be in on the action. I can think what I like, but in reality, Sue is right...... Weeds, weeds and more weeds!!! X x x xhugs x x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users