Gaping Mouth

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:07 AM

Since last night Little Elsie has been standing and opening her mouth wide I haven't seen her do it before .
I have read the book I bought and it isn't mentioned in there.

Samantha

#2 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:06 AM

Hi Samantha, Is she active and alert still? Is she doing it all the time? If this is persistent it could be a sign of Respiratory Infection or Pneumonia..Check her nostrils to see if they are runny or blocked. Also check inside her mouth to see if there is anything there that shouldn't be.If this is the case phone your vet today...If she's not doing it all the time and there's no discharge or wheezing she may just be yawning.

#3 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:00 PM

Hi Jerrymafz

We have a vet who comes to check our horses most Saturday's so I asked him. He did mention again that he is only equestrian and so his knowledge was limited. He said she looks ok though, he checked her nostrils and he thought she was good. I am not allowed out at the moment because I am having dialysis but dad took me to village vets an they said she will gape when she is too warm. I lowered the heater too 25c. I gave her a bath and she had was loving the bath and then Jerry she was a lot faster than I have seen her since I got her !!! She was investigating the kitchen while I cleaned the sink after her bath.

I am so scared of doing the wrong thing and hurting her. Thank you for the advice jerrymaffz.
Here is a pic

Attached Files

#4 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:01 PM

She was having a good rummage

Attached Files

#5 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:46 PM

Glad it's nothing too serious..Maybe she fell asleep under her lamp and dehydrated a bit..Her bath seems to have perked her up..You did the right thing to consult the vet though.  Remember that she will still need a basking temperature of around 32degrees and and area where she can cool down as well. That way she can regulate her own temperature.

#6 crotchetybear

crotchetybear

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises, my dogs, animal welfare, conservation and environment, wildlife and travel.

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:05 PM

Hi Samantha,

As JerryMaffz says, tortoises need to be able to regulate their own body temperature so, ideally, your enclosure should have a warmer end with the basking lamp at about 32 degrees during the day, and a cooler end at around 20 degrees. At night it is OK to let the background temperature drop lower and, as she is indoors, the normal background temperature of your house should be warm enough for her at night without additional heating.

What sort of enclosure are you keeping her in? (You might have posted this before but I can't find it.) If, when you have time, you could post some pictures of Elsie's accommodation we might be able to give you more advice.

All the best,

Chris

#7 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:07 PM

Just the one thing worth noting now that Elsie is OK is that when you put them on the floor and they tear about, it's because they are stressed, not really because they are having a good time. Torts tearing around are usually either too hot, stressed or in pain, so I think in this case she may have been a little unhappy. It's hard to tell with the lack of expression of a torts little face, but stress leads to illness, so next time try putting her in a small box of soil or similar so she can hide and feel secure while you clean up. Yawning is quite normal for torts, so long as it is not a repeated open mouthed breathing with neck extended. Hope the dialasis went well ;)

#8 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:24 PM

Hi Samantha, I am a little confused as to why Elsie is on the kitchen floor after her bath. When I bathe my babes I put them straight back into their enclosure. It is a safe space that they know and causes them a minimum amount of stress.
I usually take the opportunity to sort out their indoor enclosure whilst bathing them. By sort out I mean give it a good clear out of old dried weeds, stones that have risen to the surface, and water round the edges to dampen the soil. Once in a while I loosen the soil or top it up. I never move things around. I think the torts like to know where things are.
Once bathed the torts go back in ( it sounds much like changing the bedding for a sick child) to a nice feed of weeds and a lovely hot spot for basking. X x x hugs x x x

#9 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:22 PM

Hi Stella .

Elsie was on the kitchen floor because I had dried her with tissue and put her down to have a wander around while I cleaned the sink after her using it. I didn't put her straight into her enclosure because she was safe where she was while I sprayed the sink and wiped it out .. My dad made that rule because he said didn't want tortoise bath water where our food was prepared.

Thankyou SueBoyle it went very well an i too feel like I have been given a new lease of life . It always makes me tired for first few days but after those days I am ok. I will make sure she doesn't tear around anymore xxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users