• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Codie85

Codie85

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:38 AM

Hello everyone. Thanks for the add. I will be getting a Hermanns hatchling end of the week and wanna make sure I have a good enclosure for him/her. This is temporary until I can build a table which should be by end of next month. Let me know what you think. Again thanks for the help in advanced and the add.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:56 AM

Welcome Codie

I am a new owner so I can't help sorry. Still learning myself
But someone will be along to help you

Samantha

#3 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:50 AM

This enclosure would only be good as a temporary enclosure for a hatchling in my opinion if you moved both lamp/heater(?) to the same end. My biggest concern would be the lack of a good temperature gradient, meaning your tortoise won't have anywhere to cool down effectively. You would be better off getting your table sorted first, then get your tortoise.

#4 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:06 PM

This enclosure would only be good as a temporary enclosure for a hatchling in my opinion if you moved both lamp/heater(?) to the same end. My biggest concern would be the lack of a good temperature gradient, meaning your tortoise won't have anywhere to cool down effectively. You would be better off getting your table sorted first, then get your tortoise.

I agree, also have a read up about various enclosures. You would need to move the slate well away from the heat source, this could cook a tiny tort very quickly as all heat should come from above, not below. I'd seriously wait until you have a permanent setup in place. Most breeders will hang onto a tortoise for you and most will discourage you from having them until everything is in place. Hope this helps ;)

#5 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:07 PM

Oh sorry, maybe that is not slate. You don't need a food dish, as they are best going in search of food rather than having it handed to them on a plate.

#6 Codie85

Codie85

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:18 PM

I will be removing the gray pool looking thing and just use the orange colored plate for water and get a small slate for food today. I have been digging through the enclosure thread and found some good ideas so I will be looking into that today as well. Thanks for the suggestions. I found out the UVB light I have is not enough so i will be buying another one today as well. We have a three day weekend this weekend so hoping to get the enclosure built or setup depending on what i do. I also talked to the breeder and he will be holding the tortoise for me till next week so I can get the enclosure finished this weekend. :-)

#7 Codie85

Codie85

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:16 PM

Also, on the UVB light that I have currently in the center I will replace because it only a 5 UVB 13w bulb which after reading is not enough. Will I be ok with replacing it with a UVB 10 bulb or should I get the T5 or T8 tube ?

#8 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:58 PM

So long as it's relatively new, you could stick with the 5% one for six months and just make sure you supplement with D3 daily, which is the same end result. If it's as bright as any other fluorescent, that will keep the activity levels up.

#9 Codie85

Codie85

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:06 PM

Ok I will give it a try. I do have the D3 suppliment. Here is the lights that i am currently using.

Attached Files

#10 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:15 PM

Neither of those lamps are really a good match. It's a question of getting what you pay for, although reptile spot lamps are all overpriced as they give off no more heat that the average spot lamp, so Tesco would be a better buy. When looking at uvb you will do much better with either a tube or a flood lamp. Those plug in twirly things don't cover a big enough area, so you will need two or three to make a difference to your tortoise. Did the breeder not give you advice on this? I'd see if the shop would swap these for a tube and starter unit and I'd def not get the tortoise until you have this sorted as they can get stressed by not having correct habitat and stress leads to illness. The shop should swap the uvb as its not the right lamp for tortoises at all and they should know this. Hope this helps.

#11 Codie85

Codie85

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:33 PM

Will do. Thanks very much for the help. I didnt get the lights from the breeder just picked them up from the local petsmart but will return them tonight and pick up the right set. So just to be clear would a general household 60w spot light be ok and then get the t5 or t8 UVB tube light ? Sorry for all the questions just wanna make sure before i go and buy them.

#12 Codie85

Codie85

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:35 PM

Since I live in the US there is not many breeders so I chose to purschase from Tortoisesupply.com

#13 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:45 PM

Will do. Thanks very much for the help. I didnt get the lights from the breeder just picked them up from the local petsmart but will return them tonight and pick up the right set. So just to be clear would a general household 60w spot light be ok and then get the t5 or t8 UVB tube light ? Sorry for all the questions just wanna make sure before i go and buy them.

Oh sorry, never saw you were in the States. Not very observant am I lol. Yes a household spot will be fine, sorry I said Tesco. Yes if starting from scratch with the uvb, then go for the highest percentage you can and fix it at the distance recommended by the manufacturer ;)

#14 Codie85

Codie85

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:50 PM

No worries. :-)    

would this work as well ? http://www.petsmart....51-D2A2DA8811FA

#15 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:07 PM

Yes, that would cover both the heat and uvb aspect. Just be careful it only covers one end of the enclosure as they need a temperature gradient and not being able to get out of the hot spot can be lethal. This is why enclosures need to be as big as possible. Hope this makes sense.

#16 Codie85

Codie85

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:51 PM

Sure does. Thanks again for all the help. I will post more pictures of the updated enclosure. :-)

#17 Codie85

Codie85

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:37 AM

I picked up some plants and a slate for the enclosure. Wsdnt able to make it to the shop for the correct lights and material for the table but will go tomorrow. Anything i need to do to prepare the plants or can just place them in ? I figured i would have to repot them or do something dince there seems to be fertilizer in the lil pots.

Attached Files

#18 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:49 AM

All plants need to be grown on until there is all new growth, as you say they have fertiliser in and could have been sprayed with pesticides too.

#19 Codie85

Codie85

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:20 PM

Base is finished. 4 ft x 4ft

Attached Files

#20 Codie85

Codie85

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip