Size

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:25 PM

Hi

Today I weighed and measured Elsie. She is 100g and she is 7.7 CMs or 3inches .

Is this ok for her? She hatched between August and September .

Samantha

#2 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:33 PM

Was that last year Samantha? My babies generally weigh around 30 grams at a year old, which is a bit bigger than they would be in the wild. When tiny 2-4 grams a month weight gain is ideal, more means they will grow too fast. Obviously they gain a bit more each year until they are around a kilo and then start to slow down a bit until they reach adult size. If Elsie is only 4 months old then she really needs to slow down. Overwinter they shouldn't really gain anything, even if if not hibernating, this keeps the growth nice and smooth, along with using deep soill and keeping any hides humid.

#3 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:39 PM

That seems big for that age Samantha..My Jerry is a hatchling from 2014 and weighed just over 28g this week..Are you using accurate scales? This is what I use..http://www.ebay.co.u...874234560&rt=nc

#4 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:39 PM

Hi SueBoyle

That was 2013 . Sorry I meant to put the year down but I was distracted by my dad scruff ing my hair up.

Thank you Jerry I will get a scale like that. Our scales are off the Ark I think

Samantha

#5 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:42 PM

I have no idea why my message was repeated four times

#6 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:52 PM

So she is very over weight then..I will get the scales that Jerry linked me and weigh her again

Samantha

#7 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:06 PM

I'm told they all grow at different rates Samantha, so I wouldn't be too concerned about it. The main thing is that you now have a good guideline for the future. She's a lucky tortoise to have someone who cares for her wellbeing.

I weigh Jerry on Sunday morning each week before he has been fed and bathed and write it in a log. The most important figure is the monthly one though (I class four weeks as a month) because there will be fluctuations from week to week.

#8 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:34 PM

So she is very over weight then..I will get the scales that Jerry linked me and weigh her again
Samantha

Not so much overweight as oversized for her age. A good guide is (based on an average adult hand size) length of little finger at a year old, middle finger at three years and Palm of the hand at five years.

#9 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:15 PM

Ah thank you SueBoyle . She is more like my middle finger size.

Is here anything I should be doing.

Thank you too jerrymaffz I do have an excellent source of information with you all on here

Samantha

#10 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:27 PM

Just keep on looking at nice steady growth rate, just a few grams per month but nothing if possible over winter, you can start feeding more in March and increasing heat and light hours. At the moment less hours means less growth hopefully.

#11 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:10 PM

Jerry I have started a new diary for Elsie, I will log her weight and size in there.
Thank you for the tip

Samantha

#12 crotchetybear

crotchetybear

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises, my dogs, animal welfare, conservation and environment, wildlife and travel.

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:36 AM

Hi Samantha,

My youngsters, Roobarb and Custard, were hatched in Oct 2013 and are a little bigger than Elsie. I too will be monitoring their growth closely when they come out of hibernation so we can compare notes if you like.

Chris

#13 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:32 PM

Thank you Chris that would great
I was about to post some pics of little Elsie because Jerrymaffz advised me on a certain type of scale instead of the house keepers old massive big things to weigh Elsie on. I sent for them an they just came so after her bath I weighed her . She weighs 79.9. Is this better?

Attached Files

#14 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:18 PM

Thank you Chris that would great
I was about to post some pics of little Elsie because Jerrymaffz advised me on a certain type of scale instead of the house keepers old massive big things to weigh Elsie on. I sent for them an they just came so after her bath I weighed her . She weighs 79.9. Is this better?

Himsamantha, those are really too small for Elsie and better for hatchlings. You can adapt them though by putting a small plant pot on top and placing Elsie on that so that her kegs dangle over the sides and don't touch the base. You won't get a true reading otherwise. Could you not get a refund on the tiny ones? Normal household scales are fine, so long as they are digital ;)

#15 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:42 PM

Hi Sue

I will put a plant pot on top see if that helps. I am hopeless . The first scales are those with iron weight things an the house keeper is just as bad as my dad because she said " I don't want tortoise poo on the scales!! " but Elsie didn't even poop!!! Sheesh they're such moaners here

Oops forgot to say Thankyou. Xx

#16 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:27 PM

Have a look in Argos Samantha (online too, they have some for around ten pounds ) the others will do, just need a bit of manoeuvring, to make sure she doesn't touch other areas than the plate. Some people pop them upside down, but I'm a bit soft with mine lol
Nothing wrong with a bit of. Tortoise poo, did you watch Esiotrot on TV?

#17 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:58 PM

Sorry, I should've made it clear..I use an empty upside down yoghurt pot with my scales..Just pop Elsie on top with her legs dangling down..You can put the pot on the scales, then zero it before putting Elsie on.Hope this makes sense.

#18 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:30 PM

Hi jerrymaffz

You made it perfectly clear. It was me who messed up. I will weigh her tomorrow and dangle her cute little legs down.

Thankyou for the advice jerrymaffz or I would be still using the old kitchen scale

Samantha x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users