- - - - -

Buttercups

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2005 - 04:37 PM

Hi everyone do any of you use buttercups in your tortoise diets, all my hermans'spurs;horsfields eat them especially when they are in there summer paddocks they actively seek them out to eat the flowers in particular but they do eat the leaves as well ,but i hear they are toxic i have never had any problems but just wondering if anyone uses them or if they no what toxic side affects they have if the are poisoness , obviously they must be long term problems as i have fed them for the last 20yrs and so far haven't had any problems

#2 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2005 - 04:44 PM

Ours won't touch them honey so they must know something, have heard that they are poisonous but they say that about Bizzy Lizzys and one of ours loves them, flowers and all. Hows your little one, is he fully recovered after his ordeal. What a Christmas present to have him back huh.:o

#3 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2005 - 04:51 PM

None of my tropicol torts will touch them either but all my babies and adult meds love them of course they prefer dandelion ,sow thistle over them .
I do no they can be toxic to mammals in some cases just wondered if any one had any problems from feeding them to there tortoises .
Baby is doing fine back to normal.

#4 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:26 PM

Hello Chris
Buttercups should not be eaten by Tortoises, but the digestive system is so slow that the odd one would pass through with no harm, but would advise against them being added to their diet
Arnie

#5 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:52 PM

My summer enclosures are planted with a huge variety of mixed weeds buttercups are part of them as i said my med torts eat them regulary through the summer months, the tortoise trust say that field research found that buttercups where taken as part of the wild diet in testudo graecea at least 10% .
I will try to eradicate them if you think they may cause harm but do you no what effects they may have if eaten in abundance as my tortoises have grazed on them quite frequently through the summer over many years

#6 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2005 - 08:18 AM

Hello Chris
Will try to find more detail for you
Arnie

#7 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2005 - 09:41 AM

Ok found this out about buttercups ingested by mammals ;
Buttercups belong to the family rannunculidae several varieties exist some more toxic than others;the toxins contained in green leaves is are called glycoside rancunculin this substance when crushed by teeth releases another toxin a voliatile acid called protoanemonia which causes stomach upset colic in live stock, also diarrhea lip blisters;
Conclusion,
I agree it would be best maybe to avoid over ingestion of buttercups in my tortoises diets even though i think it must be tollerated in some amount maybe due to the fact tortoises dont have teeth so no protoanemonia is released into the digestive tract, iguanas suffer diarrhea when fed buttercups they chew there food before swollening .
buttercups are safe to feed if dryed and are found in hay

#8 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2005 - 11:14 AM

Hi Chris
Here's what my reliable source had to say on the subject, and he know's his plants :-)

((Buttercups contain a substance called protoanemonine, which is described as "slightly poisonous" (to humans). I personally would avoid letting my tortoises anywhere near them, just in case. However there are some people, Andy Highfield for one, who say that the slow digestive system of tortoises enables them to deal with this poison without harm. So I guess the best option is to avoid deliberately feeding buttercups but not to panic if they grab the odd flower!)))

Arnie

#9 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2005 - 12:15 PM

Thanks arnie i will try and reduce the number of buttercups in my summer paddocks next season just incase they are getting access to too many but i will still keep a look out for any evidence of buttercup poisioning in tortoises

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users