Flipped Over

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:39 PM

Hi

Yesterday I was checking to see little Elsie was ok and she was in her water bowl on her back. She couldn't get back over and if I hadn't got to her when i did heaven knows what would have happened. I was so upset ! How do I prevent this from happening again please? Would she have died on her back?
When tortoises are on their back are they scared an do they think they are dying??

Samantha

#2 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:29 PM

Hi samantha

Yes its seems very scary when you first see this,no they wont die on their backs unless if they flip over under the heat lamp or in deep water.to avoid this is to keep areas around the head lamp free of things that she could topple over on,with the water dish just make sure its not to deep to cause drowing if this does occur again.9 times out of 10 they will upright themselves,i leave mine to learn this unless if they are in danger
Regards matt

#3 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:32 PM

Oh i also wanted to add,if i find mine topple over especially if kept indoors i give them a nice soak to rehydrate as could of been on their backs for a while squirming and getting tired

#4 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:41 PM

Thank you beermat !! I never want to see it again. I will make sure I do all of the tips you gave me so this never happens again . I think she was a little shook up because she buried herself after . Poor Elsie

#5 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:49 PM

It will be the first of many for Elsie but dont panic just give her a good soak if this happens again and she would of forgotten it as quick as it happened :)

#6 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:11 PM

I have a three legged female that deliberately tips the boys up! She goes into reverse sending them upside down and then leaves them to it while she disappears :)

#7 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:40 PM

Omg! An does it upset you SueBoyle??..I dnt like it when her little legs was flaying all over

Samantha

#8 crotchetybear

crotchetybear

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises, my dogs, animal welfare, conservation and environment, wildlife and travel.

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:05 PM

Hi Samantha,

They use their legs to try and position themselves somewhere they can push against to right themselves. Although it looks scary, this is normal. Like Sue's, the larger one of mine (Custard) is quite a bully and I have seen her deliberately tipping Roobarb over. Like Matt, unless they are in danger I tend to just keep an eye on things and let them right themselves - which they usually do. Of course, if Elsie is struggling for quite a while, or is nowhere near something she will be able to right herself against, then you will need to help her but she will come to no harm.

Many years ago, when my grandmother and her sister were small, my great-grandmother had a tortoise in the garden. (Of course, in those days - like my Fred - they were all imported and much bigger than our hatchlings.) My grandmother wasn't keen on the tortoise so, when she found it on its back in the garden one day, went running in gleefully to tell her mum it was dead. She was unimpressed when my great-grandma just went out to the garden, turned it the right way up, and it scuttled off into the undergrowth none the worse for the experience :)

Chris 

#9 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:35 PM

Omg! An does it upset you SueBoyle??..I dnt like it when her little legs was flaying all over
Samantha

No, it serves him right. He lays still for a while, then jerks head and legs to form a hollow underneath him, then when they can get a foothold, flip right back. It's what they do in the wild many times, it's perfectly natural ;)

#10 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:03 PM

Thank you all for calming me down . I don't think I will ever get used to it but at least I understand more and I know how to prevent some of the flips and what to do after.

Samantha

#11 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:02 PM

One of mine flipped over in the water pool once and scared the hell of out me. Since then I've always put a few pebbles in the bottom so they have something to push against while trying to right themselves. It's never happened since. x

#12 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:18 PM

Strangely enough I have had it happen twice today with hatchlings.  Little devils seem to be too adventurous today.

#13 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:17 PM

Kelly that is a good dea I am going to use! Thank you

SueBoyle you have hatchlings??

#14 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:24 PM

I forgot to say thank you to all xx

#15 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:49 PM

Yes, ten of the little monkeys. three are still quite small, so they haven't hibernated. Three were under 20 grams so I gave them a miss this year. I might give them a short fridge hibernation from end of next month to April, not fully decided yet.

#16 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:21 AM

Hi SueBoyle

Please can I see a photo of the hatchlings !!!!? I have never seen a new born tortoise !!!

Samantha

#17 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:47 PM

Well I say hatchlings, they are a few months old now, but have some pics of some of a few years back shortly after hatching. I will post them from my laptop after logging off ipad lol.

#18 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:47 PM

Thankyou SueBoyle .!!!

#19 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:44 PM

Hi, here's some hatchling pictures, but these are horsfields. :)

SAM_1771_zpse38e72b3.jpg

SAM_2333_zps96494cc0.jpg

SAM_2343_zps399a3693.jpg

#20 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:13 PM

Here's a pic of one of mine when I first got her at three months old. Tiny.  :wub:

PA060506.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users