• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 sellwin90

sellwin90

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:04 PM

His country of origin is Croatia. Would it be worth taking him to the vets for a check over, asap, or after a couple of weeks when he's settled. I haven't seen any parasites/worms in his faeces but that said, I'm sure they'll be difficult to see!

Any more advice for a newbie owner like myself? I'm watering substrate every day, bathing him even though he seems to hate it and trying to feed him with supplements mentioned. Oh and plenty of worrying too....  :huh:

What are the best hours to have the lights on for? 

You'll notice I flit between calling Edward a him and a her. I called him Edward but then loads of people say they think she's a girl so I've managed to confuse myself now! 

#22 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:15 PM

A vet won't be able to tell you anything other than if there are parasites. If sick they would do bloods, but going there would just cause more stress at this point. You don't always see parasites, the eggs are microscopic. I mimic daylight hours for all mine my outdoor. Torts naturally put themselves to bed around 4pm, so I go along with this with tiny babies too. All baby tortoises display as female, so it all depends on who is saying female, as to how knowledgeable they are. The rails of males start to show around five years of age and even then there are some late developers.

#23 sellwin90

sellwin90

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:20 PM

Ok, so no vet visit unless something is terribly wrong! Just want him to settle and have a good life. 

Would it be worth dropping my light hours down? Currently it's 08:00-20:00.

I'm sure he's absolutely fine and I'm just worrying far more than I should! 

More further questions for you:

What months are best to hibernate, as I want to hibernate next year like the torts are use to in the wild. Also, I only have a back garden - but it rarely gets the sun because of the way the house faces - is it still worth putting him outside in the summer months (I presume from about April-September?)

#24 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:21 PM

Yes, as mentioned, my lights go off at around 4pm, so as daylight doesn't start until after 8am, this will make your daylight hours less.
Hibernation again is best in line with wild torts, so November to February or March. It's really important that your torts get as much natural sunshine as possible. If your garden is North facing this will not be easy, but if not and it is overshadowed by trees etc it's always worth cutting them back to give better light levels. They always do better outside than in and it's pretty difficult to keep them indoors to adulthood as they need large roaming areas. Somepeople do keep them in table tops into adulthood, but this doesn't mean it's best for the animal. If you can fit a greenhouse into your garden, then with additional uvb and heat, it can work fairly well.

#25 sellwin90

sellwin90

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:42 PM

It's not trees that block the sunlight in the summer - it's the house. I won't be able to chop that down I don't think  :P

I do have allotments behind though - I know next door have one, maybe they'll let me use part of their allotment for Edward! Can only ask! 

#26 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:32 PM

That's a possibility if you could make it secure :)

#27 sellwin90

sellwin90

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:09 PM

I was thinking a large rabbit hutch, with modifications within for the tort in terms of hides etc, or would that not be suitable?

#28 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:16 AM

Depends what you mean by rabbit hutch. If the type with wire sides that you move about on the lawn it's not a good idea. You need something permanent with electrics, especially if you are low on sun. It's the sun that warms torts to their core heat, not the ambient temps. Even on a boiling hot day, if they can't bask then they can't get to 32 degrees to digest their food and so will not thrive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users