Pots On The Go

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:51 PM

Hi

Not sure if this is the right place to put this. I have three plant pots on the go with weed seeds in them. I'm just wondering if I should have more pots growing . Do seeds keep growing after they're picked or die ?

Attached File  image.jpg   28.35KB   0 downloads

#2 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:54 PM

Ps: my dad thinks i have lost my mind growing weeds!! Hahahahahahah! But to be honest I think he is so happy that my days are filled with researching and caring for Elsie . I am writing a diary about keeping her so if ever I have to leave her then my dad or brother will know how to care for her.

#3 crotchetybear

crotchetybear

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises, my dogs, animal welfare, conservation and environment, wildlife and travel.

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:56 PM

Hi Samantha,

I grow weed seeds (from the t-lady's seed mix, available in small quantities from Herbiseed.com) in the shallow plastic trays supermarkets sell fresh meat, fish and fruit in. One advantage is these are free! Last year I planted up loads of these, about three at a time at fortnightly intervals, and they grew quite quickly in the greenhouse. When the weeds got to a reasonable size I just "planted" a tray in the tortoise enclosure and replaced it with another when they'd "mowed" it right down. Then I just put the eaten tray back on the shelf, watered it regularly, and the weeds would re-grow to be used again and again. They have kept growing over winter so I now have plenty to keep them going while we're away. (Not sure they'll regrow so quickly this time of year though - I'll start some fresh ones off in spring.)

It's better if you can let some of the weeds mature and get quite fibrous and tough. As well as being better for the torts (too much young, fresh growth tends to put the weight on), they get much needed exercise tearing them up.

(My husband is also amused at the idea of me growing weeds and paying for the seeds. I just ignore him - and he waters them when he waters everything else in the greenhouse.)

So good luck with your pots,

Chris

#4 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:46 AM

Hi Chris

Thank you for the tips . I just hope they grow , I will put them in the conservatory because it is quite warm in there .

Samantha

#5 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:21 AM

Ps: my dad thinks i have lost my mind growing weeds!! Hahahahahahah! But to be honest I think he is so happy that my days are filled with researching and caring for Elsie . I am writing a diary about keeping her so if ever I have to leave her then my dad or brother will know how to care for her.

Oh that's so sweet that a youngster is thinking of her torts future. You'll be caring for her for a long time yet :) I did this with my daughter and she keeps telling me I will be here longer than her lol

#6 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:27 AM

Just remember that weeds do best when neglected. Too much rich soil and they die. Also as mentioned the older fibrous ones are best. If you feed them when quite small and soft, it's no better than giving supermarket bagged food as it passes straight through them. Still better than giving pellets, dried etc though

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:17 AM

A lot of my friends think im crazy growing weeds they go in there garden to get rid of them and I grow them :lol:  you could ask your dad if you could have a small patch in the garden and plant the seeds there so you have a small weed patch outside that way you just leave them too it and let them grow naturally, I've found they grow better this way but that's just me. :)

#8 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:18 PM

Good Luck with your pots Samantha.

I think I must be quite lucky as I have a patch of waste ground right next to my house (not near a main road) that has Sow thistle, Dandelion, Ox Tongue,

Bittercress, Clover and Plantain all growing in adundance. Just as well, because I'm usually quite rubbish at growing stuff. :) ..I have started to accumulate

some Tortoise friendly garden plants though. Have recently purchased some Sedum and Campanula which will hopefully have new growth and be free of pesticides

by the time they are offered in the summer..Have purchased some Heather in anticipation of the summer enclosure as well.

#9 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:44 PM

Hi

My dad has given me a little plot of land , only teeny, to grow some outdoors. The weather there is horrid so I started them off in plant pots. We have lots and lots of land and some of the fields do get weeds in the hedges but because I am unsure of what weeds are what I wanted to grow my own first . I will sprinkle some seeds on the little raised bed and see if it grows better than the potted ones.

Jerrymaffz my tortoise loves campanula. I only know it is a campanula because we have them in window boxes because my dad loves them. He doesn't love them as much as my Elsie does though!! Hahahahaahhaah

#10 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:49 PM

Guess what? At long last I can see green poking through !!!

Attached File  image.jpg   48.99KB   1 downloads

Attached Files

#11 vikki01

vikki01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Animals
    Countryside
    Walking
    Reading

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:19 PM

They look liked they are  growing well. I am anewbie but started some weed seeds straight away - I got mine from shelled warriors and they contain about 20 varieties. I think I probably put too much in each tray as they have come through a bit thick also can only seem to see about 4-5 different seeds and have absolutely no idea what they are! :rofl:. Luckily I am able to find a reasonable variety whilst out dog walking so Herbie isn't too deprived! 

#12 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:42 AM

Hi Samantha,

It's good your dad had give you a little patch to grow some weeds in, and your pots look like they've started to grow well done, I've never been able o grow them in small pots or indoors they just seem to die on me :lol:

Here's a good link to help you id plants and weeds etc. :)    http://www.thetortoi...e/plants_19.asp

And you might find this helpful.  http://www.tortsmad.com/diet.htm

#13 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:46 AM

They look liked they are  growing well. I am anewbie but started some weed seeds straight away - I got mine from shelled warriors and they contain about 20 varieties. I think I probably put too much in each tray as they have come through a bit thick also can only seem to see about 4-5 different seeds and have absolutely no idea what they are! :rofl:. Luckily I am able to find a reasonable variety whilst out dog walking so Herbie isn't too deprived! 

Hi Vikki,

Just thought i would say just lately there's been some bad reports regarding shelled warriors seed mixes, a lot say they contain unsuitable plants, this is a really good place to buy your seeds from. :)   http://www.tlady.cla...t/herbiseed.htm

#14 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:42 AM

Hi

Thank you all for the tips and links.

Mildred I didn't want to say anything on a public forum but the seeds I first got was from shelled warrior and they was not in a suitable condition . My dad got me the ones you see growing from Tlady and we was very pleased with them.

Ps Mildred please can I private message you regarding my membership ??

#15 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:51 PM

Yes you can message me any time Samantha. :)

#16 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:18 PM

Thank you Mildredsmam.

#17 vikki01

vikki01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Animals
    Countryside
    Walking
    Reading

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:21 PM

Thank you both - do you think I should just bin what is growing or wait and see what they are? I will order some from Tlady asap :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users