3 replies to this topic

#1 Kaela

Kaela

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:53 PM

Hi everyone,

I got my 6 month old hermann tortoise on Saturday and I *think* things are going well so far. He lives in a table with tortoise soil substrate (from Pets at Home) with a flower pot to hide in, some stones and a little plant section he can nibble at when it gets going. He seems to lie around until about 5pm when he gets quite active and wanders around. I give him a bath in the late afternoon (I've seen him drinking a couple of times) and this afternoon he's has a good go at the cuttle bone. I measured and weighed him yesterday and he is healthy according to the Jackson Ratio calculator. At the moment I'm waiting on seeds being delivered (Tladys weed mix) and I'm on the lookout for weeds in my friend's garden, so he's eating a mix of some shop bought things until they arrive (I'm checking the tortoisetable's plant guides for what he can have). I've been feeding him once a day, about as much as will cover his shell. He has an Arcadia D3 basking lamp (heat and UVB), which is 160w. We've tried varying heights and have two thermometers - one at the back of the table in the warm end and one that is loose that we can place under the lamp or in the cool end to spot test. At the moment, he seems to like sitting by the thermometer on the wall which is usually 32degrees. I've spot tested directly under the lamp and it's going up past 35degrees. We keep moving the lamp higher to bring temp further down but I was wondering the best heat for under the lamp? I've heard varying opinions on this. He never really goes to the cool end to sleep, he seems to like digging at the side of his flower pot and sleeping there and only sits directly under the lamp a short time.
Thanks for taking the time to read this absolute essay haha!

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:07 PM

Hi welcome to the forum. :)

Sounds like your doing every thing right, the basking temperature under the lamp wants to be 32, and no higher really, you may need to lift the bulb up just a little to get this. :)

#3 Kaela

Kaela

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:09 PM

Ah cool thanks :) I'll move it up some more!

#4 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:49 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users