4 replies to this topic

#1 Kaela

Kaela

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:42 PM

Hiya,

I was just wondering if anyone had used the Komodo dried nettle mix and if it was any good? There are some other dried flower mixes also. I've ordered some seeds etc from the Tortoise Lady but they still haven't arrived.

Thanks! :)

#2 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:14 PM

Hi, I've never used these dry mixes so am not familiar with this one. I have seen a Dandelion and Plantain Mix which looked okay. Can't remember who made it though.

On the face of it, if these are 100% dried leaves they could be a viable complimentary food. I would imagine a wild tortoise would consume quite a large amount of dry leaves in the summer.

However, these companies have a nasty habit of adding various other 'vegetable'

items to their mixes and I would imagine that some of the nutritional value will be lost.

I'm told that some can be high in protein and low in fibre...Nettle is also a diuretic. So I'd say not good as the majority of the diet.

My advice is stick to fresh weeds..I've had no problem giving my tort a varied fresh diet this winter.

You can soon get enough for a few days and keep it in an air tight container in the fridge.

Sometimes I will put a leaf or two on the radiator to dry out, just so he can have some variation in texture.

#3 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:52 PM

Hi, I've never used these dry mixes so am not familiar with this one. I have seen a Dandelion and Plantain Mix which looked okay. Can't remember who made it though.
On the face of it, if these are 100% dried leaves they could be a viable complimentary food. I would imagine a wild tortoise would consume quite a large amount of dry leaves in the summer.
However, these companies have a nasty habit of adding various other 'vegetable'
items to their mixes and I would imagine that some of the nutritional value will be lost.
 I'm told that some can be high in protein and low in fibre...Nettle is also a diuretic. So I'd say not good as the majority of the diet.

My advice is stick to fresh weeds..I've had no problem giving my tort a varied fresh diet this winter.
You can soon get enough for a few days and keep it in an air tight container in the fridge.
Sometimes I will put a leaf or two on the radiator to dry out, just so he can have some variation in texture.

Do you just have the one baby Keith? Don't get me wrong but you come across as having years of experience so wondered if you had long term torts!

#4 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:55 PM

Hiya,
I was just wondering if anyone had used the Komodo dried nettle mix and if it was any good? There are some other dried flower mixes also. I've ordered some seeds etc from the Tortoise Lady but they still haven't arrived.
Thanks! :)

Komodo are a commercial company, whose main interest is profit. Personally I would avoid any of these products as they are not necessary ;)

#5 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:32 PM

Do you just have the one baby Keith? Don't get me wrong but you come across as having years of experience so wondered if you had long term torts!

No Sue, I only have the one baby...but..I have turned into a bit of a tortoise geek and did masses of research before I bought Jerry last year..I really wanted him to have the best start in life possible and hope he's on the right track..I guess that some of my posts could come across as above my station but I think that so far the advice I've given has been sound and I have often preceeded my posts saying that I'm a relative newby. I just hope to help others in situations I've been in. I post safe in the knowledge that there are very experienced keepers here who'll add to and edit my thoughts, should they disagree....I think I'll take your post as a compliment. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users