Mythbusting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:19 PM

Hi

There are a few things that I keep hearing about tortoises but I thought they was too silly to be true .

1: Tortoises can carry salmonella on their shell.

2: Tortoises can bite you

Are any of these true please?

#2 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:45 PM

They can carry salmonella in their systems, so young children, the elderly and immune compromised people should use especially good hygiene practices. You can of course have your tested for salmonella if this is likely to be a problem ;)
They can bite you yes and although they don't have teeth, they can give a nasty nip. Not all tortoises bite hiuge just as all dogs don't.

#3 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:19 PM

I have also read about the salmonella..Whilst I have no doubts about it, I have yet to read of a person actually being affected. 

Have you come across this at all Sue? 

Jerry sometimes thinks my fingers are food and attempts a bite..I let him once, not too bad now, but I'm not sure I'd let him do it in a few years time. :)

#4 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:20 AM

Not personally no. I think it's something we have to be aware of though. The biting thing is not something you can train out of them if they are that way inclined. I know of one well known keeper who has a particularly nasty one which bites heels as you are gardening and will deliberately target anyone with bare flesh showing.

#5 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:14 PM

I read about the salmonella thingy in a news paper this week. It said that no one was infected but tortoises do and can carry it . So due to my dialysis my nurse was asking me to wash thoroughly after handling her, which I do anyway .
I asked about the biting because when I have given little Elsie a few weeds she has looked at my finger like it was a snack , I don't know what tier eyesight is like and I didn't leave my finger hanging around long enough to find out if I was going to be bitten.

I would be terrified SueBoyle if I had a tortoise who wanted to eat my heels while I cleaned up after her .

#6 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:44 PM

Hi dolly,
All reptiles have the potential to carry salmonella so its always a best idea to wash hands after handling them just to be safe but to be honest with you,you can catch it from alot of things so im guessing the chances are very low

#7 Guest_Dolly_*

Guest_Dolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:12 PM

Hi Beermat

I am immuno-compromised so I can't really take the risk But I am going scrub my hands after every time I am near her . What is a small risk to everyone else is a major risk to me. My dad has promised me that if I am careful and scrub my hands then everything will be ok.

Samantha

#8 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:36 PM

Yes you need to take special care. My granddaughter is immunocompromised too so she takes special care when here. She uses hand scrub and hand gel which will protect against bacteria and virus's but not some of the parasitic infections, so you need to keep on top of this with Elsie too, especially if she was shop bought ;)

#9 Geordie Mark

Geordie Mark

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 12:12 AM

I know taking care of washing your hands but I have a medically suppressed immune system and I'm ok, I work in dirty industry etc I think it's unlikely given what I've seen in the past however not everyone should be as neglectful of themselves as me :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users