• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Laura-1992

Laura-1992

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:28 PM

My 3 year ols hermanns used to be really active and forever running about - since before Christmas he seems to be really lacking in movement. He used to love his leaves and food however now he hardly eats and doesn't bask under his lamp. I'm not sure if the lowering in temperature as its winter makes a difference or is he ill? Thanks, Laura

#2 vikki01

vikki01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Animals
    Countryside
    Walking
    Reading

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:35 PM

Hi Laura,

I am a newbie to this so only guessing but could it be that he would naturally be hibernating now. Have you checked your temperatures/renewed your lamps recently - just wondering if he could be a bit cold or not getting enough uv? As I say I am a complete newbie and only basing this on what I have read so hopefully someone with far more experience can give you a better answer.

Vikki. :unsure2:

#3 vikki01

vikki01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Animals
    Countryside
    Walking
    Reading

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:44 PM

Hi Lauren,

Have just seen your other post about Shermanns new home - it looks really good but just wondering if this is what has upset him. Again just from what I have read they aren't keen on change and wonder if your move and his new home have been at about the same time that his behaviour has changed? I guess as an ex veterinary nurse I would say if in doubt get him checked but this is only as good as the vet you go to if you see what I mean!! ( in other words try to find a recommended tortoise experienced vet :)) good luck and as I said before sure one of the experts will be able to give best advice and I hope he is better soon :happy:

Vikki.

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:30 AM

My 3 year ols hermanns used to be really active and forever running about - since before Christmas he seems to be really lacking in movement. He used to love his leaves and food however now he hardly eats and doesn't bask under his lamp. I'm not sure if the lowering in temperature as its winter makes a difference or is he ill? Thanks, Laura

Hi Laura,

Some tortoise's do slow down at this time of year and it can be quite hard keeping them going, if he's not getting the correct temperatures and light levels this will make him inactive and not eat, do you know what temperatures your getting in the table, basking spot cool end etc are you also giving any additional heat at night as this is not needed, also are you bathing him on a regular basis, as already said tortoises don't really like change when was it you moved him into the new bigger table. :)

#5 sellwin90

sellwin90

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:25 PM

I've had a similar problem.

Edward has being eating fine since I've had him, but this last week he's not really eaten (twice in five days). I'm not overly worried as almost everyone has said to me a tortoise wouldn't starve itself.

I haven't noticed less movement but I've only had him just under a month. He still basks and it's 32 under the lamp and 19 at the cool area. It drops to around 15 in the night I think.

He does go to sleep before his light goes out, usually between 330 and 6 but again, I was told they do, do this in the winter if they aren't hibernated.

Don't know if this is of any help and I'm sure someone else will comment to help and to let me know if I'm doing anything wrong too/need to do something more!

#6 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:55 PM

I've had a similar problem.
Edward has being eating fine since I've had him, but this last week he's not really eaten (twice in five days). I'm not overly worried as almost everyone has said to me a tortoise wouldn't starve itself.
I haven't noticed less movement but I've only had him just under a month. He still basks and it's 32 under the lamp and 19 at the cool area. It drops to around 15 in the night I think.
He does go to sleep before his light goes out, usually between 330 and 6 but again, I was told they do, do this in the winter if they aren't hibernated.
Don't know if this is of any help and I'm sure someone else will comment to help and to let me know if I'm doing anything wrong too/need to do something more!

So long as you keep him well hydrated he should be fine. Mine all go to sleep around this time, even in summer ;)

#7 sellwin90

sellwin90

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:16 PM

Sue, do you get bored of answering what are probably the same questions over and over? Haha!

It is totally appreciated of course though! I'm a much more less worried after being on here :-)

#8 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:35 PM

No, I treat it as a hobby lol. Luckily I don't always look on forums who is asking, so you could ask the same one yourself over and over and make me look like a proper plonker :) typing in my gloves today as the boiler has broken. :(

#9 sellwin90

sellwin90

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:49 PM

What you need is a basking lamp....

#10 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:37 PM

In the first post it says he has a basking lamp ;)

Oh I see, you mean for the lack of heating lol :blush:

#11 Jacky

Jacky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Gardening. Gym. Reading. Walking. Holidays. My tortoise

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:24 AM

I feel a lot happier now since I've read some of the posts.
My "Wee Mac" has been behaving the same way, but he does surface to eat and drink every now and then. I bath bathe him and give him a shower! I've only had him since Christmas and I'm quite "neurotic" about him/her.
Can anyone recommend a good pet insurance and a vet in the Glasgow area
Thanks
Jacky

#12 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:45 AM

I'd not recommend insurance as if kept correctly there is not a lot to go wrong, unlike dogs and cats that break legs, eat rubbish and get 'pampered' to ill health. I have an ISA for all my animals and pay the same amount as for one dog. This also pays for a holiday each year. Much better in my pocket than pet plan ;)

#13 Jacky

Jacky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Gardening. Gym. Reading. Walking. Holidays. My tortoise

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:56 AM

Thanks Sue
Jacky

#14 twolittletortoises

twolittletortoises

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:40 PM

we are proud new keepers of two baby tortoises (hatched July). We have had them a couple of months and up until a few days ago they have both been very active. One of them this week had been very sleepy and inactive too (They are in separate tortoise tables with 80w uva/uvb lamps).  We were also wondering if we should be concerned by this - could someone please confirm for me how many inches above the tortoise an 8w uva/uvb lamp should be? I am worried it is too far up

#15 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:52 PM

What temperature are you getting under the lamp? Can I ask why they are in separate tables, they might do better together?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users