5 replies to this topic

#1 garycfc80

garycfc80

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:53 PM

Hi,

My 4 year old Female Hermann was quite active until my sisters bought me a male Russian (I think).  Now the female won't come out of the bedroom on the tortoise table?  I can hear scratching from in the bedroom, it goes on for ages.  Is it okay to mix breeds, sex of tortoises?  How would I know if the female became pregnant?  

Thanks for any advice.

Gary

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:38 PM

Hi Gary,

I would really advise you to remove the male horsfield, you really shouldn't mix different species of torts for a number of reasons, one been male horsfields can be very aggressive, you couldn't just keep one female with one male, you need quite a few females to one male especially with horsfields, also you really should quarantine any new tort from the one you have already, adding the new tort will have upset the Hermann, and if it is a male horsfield he could be stressing her out, if you post a photo of the new male tort we can let you know if it is a horsfield, but for now I would separate them asap. :)

#3 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:32 PM

To add to what Karen has said, if this horsfield is from the pet trade it could well be carrying disease, so to separate and quarantine is very important and then to keep it in a different enclosure altogether. Horsfields have very different needs to hermanns. The scratching is likely because the russian is a burrowing species and needs very deep soil to dig a tunnel in. Not being able to do this will cause stress which will encourage disease to surface.

#4 garycfc80

garycfc80

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:30 AM

Thank you both for your advice.  I've attached a photo f the male, possible Russian tortoise, as my profile picture.  I couldn't see how to attach a photo to this reply?  Thanks again for your help. Gary x

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:01 PM

Hi Gary,

Yes that's a horsfield tortoise you have there, to upload pictures you need to use some thing like photo bucket or some thing similar. :)

#6 garycfc80

garycfc80

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:10 AM

Thanks again Karen x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users