• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ems

ems

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:34 PM

Hi i just bought my new hermann on saturday who is called Archie!! he/she is called 6 months the guy was really good but when chatting to him he mentioned they like being in twos??. Now i have read that tortoises are happy on there own or in a two he said he was 70% sure archie(bald)!!! will be female but not sure weather to go back and get a 2nd??? please some advice!! 

#2 vikki01

vikki01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Animals
    Countryside
    Walking
    Reading

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:24 PM

Not too sure and is a good question. I have had my tortoise for a month and have just got the one. From what I have read it might be ok to have more than one when they are young but problems can occur when they become sexually mature etc. I am sure one of the experienced members will be able to advise you better and also look forward to seeing the answer although not sure if I can go through getting another - if you look at some of my previous posts it will give you some idea of why!!

#3 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:41 PM

Hi ems,
Congrats on getting your little tortie :)
Tortoise's are generally solitary animals but also they can live with company very easily if brought up together from a young age.As Vikki has mentioned,if you do get another and both turn out to be males later on in life then you could have dominance problems but so also can females do this but if your prepared and have the room to split them up in the future if this does occur then its fine,but ive seen 2 adult males living happily together as there was no females around to stimulate them into wanting to mate or fight against each other. if you are getting another i would get it from the same breeder as you wont have todo the 12 month quarentine period before introducing.
  • ems likes this

#4 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:25 PM

In my experience, I have never had problems with two males that have been together since small so long as there are no females around. I have never had problems with females regardless of the age they were introduced. The problems start when you have both sexes and then you either have to split them up or give a ratio of one male to several females. Space us another issue as tightly penned animals become stressed and this is often when males can become stroppy. Hope this helps.

#5 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:29 PM

Totally agree Sue,ive had no problems with mine either with dominance but i know people who have but to be honest i think the biggest issue as you say is giving them plenty of room to get away from each other if they need too

#6 ems

ems

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:59 AM

Thank you for your advice everyone. Archie seems quite happy. He/she has settled and eating away!!! another quick question!! How many leaves do we give??

#7 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:34 PM

Thank you for your advice everyone. Archie seems quite happy. He/she has settled and eating away!!! another quick question!! How many leaves do we give??

Feeding needs to be measured in weight gain, not amounts, as all leaves are different, some more fibrous than others etc etc. For a hatchling under 100 grams, 2-4 grams a month is plenty. Older than that and they can gain a little more. You should see a very fine line of lighter coloured growth around the scutes, particularly above the marginals. If this gets wider than a fine pencil line, it's too much ;)

#8 vikki01

vikki01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Animals
    Countryside
    Walking
    Reading

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:09 PM

Hi was just a quick question - obviously it seems the best option with 2 is both females or possibly both male - what is the youngest age that you can fairly certainly tell their sex? Just wondering as maybe would consider a second in future but wonder if it would therefore be worth waiting until it is apparent wether I already have a male or female or would it be more difficult by this age to introduce a new one?

#9 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:23 PM

There's no set age, it's more to do with the size. If they've been 'power fed' they reach sexual maturity quicker than if they have been allowed to grow slowly as they would in their natural environment.

As a rough guide you can normally sex most males by about 3 or 4 pretty accurately, particularly if they 'flash' their bits at you! :laugh: For girls it may be a few years later before you can be 100% sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users