Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:29 PM

Hi guys meet Bruizer,
Hes a 2yr old tiger brindle EBT,hes excellent temperment,loves kids and other dogs and beleive it or not he gets on with cats,dont take no notice of them,hes loves cuddling up in the evening with us and enjoys lots of play time lol
Attached File  image.jpg   51.05KB   1 downloads

#2 crotchetybear

crotchetybear

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises, my dogs, animal welfare, conservation and environment, wildlife and travel.

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:06 PM

Hi Matt,

So glad to hear you've found another dog. And one slightly older is probably better with your young family, especially as he's known to have a good temperament. Is he a rescue?

He looks lovely  :)

Cheers,

Chris

#3 vikki01

vikki01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Animals
    Countryside
    Walking
    Reading

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:33 PM

OMG He is so gorgeous and sounds like his personality matches his good looks :)

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:53 AM

Hi Matt,

Bruizer is gorgeous, he's a lovely colour, our dog doesn't care about cats either and a few years back we had a rabbit that we let out of the cage to run about, it used to come into the house every now and then, I think dog was more scared of the rabbit. :lol:

#5 emasen

emasen

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Sewing, Reading, knitting, gym-workout, family-time🍷

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:52 AM

Awww he's gorgeous, congrats to you & your family x

#6 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:54 AM

Hi guys meet Bruizer,
Hes a 2yr old tiger brindle EBT,hes excellent temperment,loves kids and other dogs and beleive it or not he gets on with cats,dont take no notice of them,hes loves cuddling up in the evening with us and enjoys lots of play time lol
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Oh he's gorgeous Matt, so glad you jumped right in there. Is he a rescue?

#7 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 04:56 PM

Hi thanks guys thanks for your comments guys :) hes a brillant dog,i can take him out for walks and have no worries towards other animals :) he met my friends blue bitch staff yesterday and she didnt like him at all but to my amazement he didnt go back at her so a proper gentlemen lol.no hes not a rescue but a chap not far from me didnt have no time for him so was locked at home from 7am-5pm which wasnt ideal for bruizer as loves company so i couldnt leave with out him once i had seen him :)
I gave him some tripe yesterday,he loved it but i totally regret giving to him this morning when i woke up lol
Regards matt

#8 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:42 PM

Ha ha, my dog loves tripe, but the secret of raw feeding is not mix it with dry foods in the same day or you and pooch will suffer. Esther was spayed this week and the vet said to give her a light diet, including mashed potato, scrambled egg etc. oops, one very sicky dog, so back to the tripe and whole raw chicken carcass and she is fine lol.

#9 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:58 PM

Ha yes hes been on sweet potato,rice and boiled chicken today and seems to be doing the trick thank god!ahh i never knew that Sue as i was mixing it with his dried food!will have to remember that!thing is id love to give him a raw diet but im affraid i wont get the balance right!i mixed tripe with it as he wasnt really interested in the dry mix!what can i add to his kibble to tempt him to eat it with out upsetting his guts?

#10 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:05 AM

Im not the one to ask on that one Matt as I raw feed. You could try adding an egg, would he eat that? My dog loves raw eggs.

#11 crotchetybear

crotchetybear

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises, my dogs, animal welfare, conservation and environment, wildlife and travel.

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:54 AM

Hi Matt,

The important thing is not to make any sudden changes to his diet, but to change things gradually if you want to. Do you know what he was fed on by his previous owner? If so, best to stick to that initially. If he's not used to tripe it would upset his tummy if not introduced slowly.

I don't raw feed (althouh have a friend who swears by it) but even changing to a different brand of kibble has to be done gradually. You could try adding some cooked chicken or fish (or a good quality tinned food) to his kibble in small quantities to stimulate his appetite. But he might just be feeling a bit off colour today if he's had an upset stomach so might be best to stick as you are for 24 hours.

Good Luck,
Chris

#12 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:51 PM

Ok thanks Chris!
I did introduce the tripe in small amounts but only over a couple of days but obvs wasnt long enough!he was fed on james welbeloved turkey and rice so ive kept that going!thing is if i ate biscuits for every meal 7days awake i would get bord of it so cant blame him so im wanting to make it more exciting for him.perhaps like you say might give hime egg,mash and boiled chicken now and again to vary it abit.ive heard salmon oil is excellent to get them to eat and good for their coats and bones?

#13 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:36 PM

It shouldn't make a difference matt. We are talking raw green tripe I presume? Most dogs take well to raw as it is their natural food. It's more likely the mixing of the two. When you introduce a new dry food it has to be done more gradually as there is a lot of waste in dry stuff (hence huge poos) but changing to raw has to be done in one move as raw and dry digest at different rates. Good luck ;)

#14 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:23 PM

Ahh sorry Sue no its butchers tripe loaf so no its not green tripe and yes it was mixed with his dried food,perhaps im going to stick with just the dried food with a little something to make it more interesting lo!so on a daily basis wht does you dog eat on a raw diet and how do vary the diets to get the right amount of everything?

#15 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:19 PM

Haha, silly me. It could be that then Matt. Esther has all raw. She has around 400 grams of either raw tripe or lamb in the morning, then in the evening she has a raw chicken carcass. Then three or four times a week she has some organ meat added in, either liver or kidney. Opposite days she will have some sardines or mackerel. This makes sure she has enough of everything, a good calcium to phosphorous ratio, plenty of protein and omega3. I changed my last dogs to raw when one developed autoimmune disease and was continually unwell, she never looked back and lived to 14. I'm not pushing the raw diet, it's not everyone's choice, but I cope, even being veggie lol

#16 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 06:30 PM

Wow well that must cost you a fortune unless you know the local butcher?i would love to feed this diet but im going for the safe option i think with just the kibble so i cant go wrong again lol

#17 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 16 February 2015 - 06:56 PM

Lol, no, it's actually cheaper than a 'good quality' kibble and because it's not loaded with indigestible wheat and corn, there is no waste, so small poos like wild animals, with virtually no smell. I pay roughly £1 per kilo for the meat, £5 for 30 chicken carcasses, which include a fair bit of meat and around £4 for a large bag of chopped kidney and liver. All in all it costs less than £5 a week, for my lurcher, so not bad at all. I do it because I think it is unfair to feed my dog commercial stuff when my torts get the best lol. I sound like a raw feeding advert don't I :) as I say it's not for everyone and you do need a separate freezer of course. Being veggie I couldn't do with dead stuff in with my food :)

#18 crotchetybear

crotchetybear

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:53 PM

Hi Matt,

James Wellbeloved is a reputable brand if you decide to stick with kibble. And, while I understand your point about a diet of biscuits being boring for a human, we shouldn't make the mistake of attributing human sensitivities to our dogs. Feeding the same kibble every day is fine. 

I don't feed raw but I have a friend - who has three rescued springers - who feeds all her dogs this way. She has made friends with all her local butchers and claims the cost is negligible - but she says you do need to be prepared to put in some effort to make sure the balance is right. Sue is obviously better placed to advise you on this if you did decide to opt for the raw route.

Interesting to note, Sue, that you cope with this as well as being veggie (which I am too). My husband eats meat occasionally and I make him cook it himself - don't think I'd get away with that if I prepared meat for the dogs! (And I guess all this makes me a hypocrite as I happily feed them kibble which does, of course, contain meat products…..)

Regards,

Chris

#19 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:15 PM

I had a dog with autoimmune disease Chris and decided, no more vaccines, no more stuff loaded with additives, colours etc my theory was that it was wrong to go the extremes to give my tortoises a natural diet and not my dogs. The vet gave a poor prognosis for Mellow at 8 years of age and was amazed to see the change in her after removing all kibble. To cut a very long story short, she lived to 14 and eventually died of cancer, not her immune problems. Feeding raw is nothing like cooking it, so it's a doddle. When I got a Esther she was on a high quality kibble, she had mange, various neurotic problems and a really bad gut. The vet wanted to treat her with steroids, antibiotics and a change of kibble. I refused, got her some really good probiotics, neem oil for her skin and back to the raw diet overnight. I watched the transformation. Only three months later she won first prize in a class for condition. My friend was struggling with a lab with diabetes and having to inject daily. Within a couple of weeks changing to raw diet and having nothing with wheat etc, she became stable and no longer needs injections at all. I've done it now for eight years and would never go back to farting dogs, tartar on teeth and all those bulky poops lol No doggy smells either, which is a big plus. OK! I will shut up now lol best to read up on it if you are interested ;) I have to say I'd not want to live on biscuits though either :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users