• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Animals
    Countryside
    Walking
    Reading

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:10 PM

Hi,

Sorry its me again. At the moment I am having trouble working out what temperature I am getting under the basking lamp :blush:

If I lie the probe directly onto the substrate the temperature can get as high as 40 degrees if I leave the probe there for a few hours, however if I prop the probe up in an upright position between two stones then I get about 32 degrees. Which is correct? Do I need to raise the lamp? HELP!!! :unsure:

#2 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:49 PM

Your tort will tell you if it is too hot. If he always basks at the edge of the hot area then it is too warm, so needs to be raised. Keepers tend to keep the hot spot at 32 degrees because it is safer for little ones. If they fall asleep at 40 degrees then that can have dire results, but at 32 degrees not too dangerous so long as the soil is deep and watered.

#3 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:39 PM

I use an infra red non contact thermometer alonside a digital and a dial type. The advantage of the infra red is that will give an instant reading when aimed at any surface. You can even find out the temperature of your torts carapace with one. Using it alongside my other thermometers has reassured me of it's accuracy.

At this time of year I would imagine there would be more fluctuations in ambient room temperature so I check temps daily to find a happy medium lamp height aiming for 32 degrees at substrate level.

I reckon the 32 degree reading you get between the stones could be the more accurate reading, that would be tortoise height...The substrate would absorb heat over time giving your higher reading,though the tortoise would obviously utilise this heat from below as well......When I use the infra red on Jerry's carapace he's usually between 26 and 32 degrees, depending where he is.

#4 vikki01

vikki01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Animals
    Countryside
    Walking
    Reading

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:06 PM

Thanks he does tend to vary where he uses ie directly under the lamp or even at the other end entirely but I guess this is what he should be doing to thermo-regulate?

I haven't moved the lamp at all but today seemed to get hotter readings but as proved above I guess this can fluctuate a lot. The cool end is generally always 20-21 degrees in the day so I guess as long as he can choose it should be o.k  - was just somewhat alarmed by the readings!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users