Growing Weeds

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LUVLEE

LUVLEE

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:I love my pets 2 tortoises and 2 Guinea pigs. I have one Granddaughter who I spoil rotten who also has a love of animals.
    I enjoy gardening and walks in the countryside.

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:55 AM

Can anyone recommend a good weed seed please I have had absolutely no success in growing weeds and this year I'm determined to crack this.
Any tips would also be appreciated.

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:44 PM

Hi, this is a good place to get seeds from.  http://www.tlady.cla...t/herbiseed.htm. :)

Weeds do better been left and neglected really, I plant the seeds outside in the torts enclosure and just let them grow, it works that way for me. :)

#3 crotchetybear

crotchetybear

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises, my dogs, animal welfare, conservation and environment, wildlife and travel.

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:09 AM

Hi,

I also use the t lady's seed mix - they're really easy to grow. As well as planting directly outdoors I also grow them in shallow trays (the plastic ones food comes in from the supermarket are ideal) which you can then "plant" in an indoor enclosure. Once they've been "harvested" by the torts they can be removed and left to regrow and re-use on a rotational basis. As has been said it's better if they're left to become tough and fibrous and I'm currently reusing those I grew last summer - which are now quite overgrown and tatty - to supplement the foraged weeds which are in shorter supply at the moment.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users