• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 h20

h20

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:47 AM

Does anyone use these Ceramic Heat Emitter's for their tortoises and are they any good?
Thanks

LINK: http://www.petsathom...-1?pageSize=81#

#2 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2015 - 12:51 PM

Tortoises need bright light to simulate the sun so they are not much use for torts to be honest.
The info given by pets at home on that link is totally incorrect as basking light should always be bright. Dull heat emitters just cause confusion and possibly dehydration if they were to sleep under it in the night.

#3 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 01:18 PM

Sue, do you think there's any merit in using one of these on a thermostat in a small outdoor enclosure's hide instead of a tubular heater?

Would be interested to hear the pro and cons .Your thoughts are welcome.

#4 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 18 February 2015 - 01:24 PM

I have used them in the past, but they don't work so well as a tubular heater, as the aim is to increase ambient temps, to encourage them to go outside and ceramic heaters like these crate a hot spot below, which is different altogether and encourages them to bask in the wrong area ;) Id never trust them for a baby for hide use because of the dangers of dehydration.

#5 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 01:33 PM

Thank you, you confirmed what I suspected. What temps would you set a tubular heater at? I'm guessing it needs to be warm enough to offer protection

early and late in the season but not so warm that your tort doesn't want to go out!

#6 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 18 February 2015 - 01:48 PM

I just set them to keep frost off, so around 5-8 degrees is fine. It's the light that will tempt him out more than anything, so doors need to be translucent. Obviously if it is a horrible cold wet day outdoors, then he needs to be able to ball indoors too, so you will need a bright basking bulb as well as the overnight frost cover. Only for bad weather though, otherwise he might get lazy.

#7 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 02:11 PM

I just set them to keep frost off, so around 5-8 degrees is fine. It's the light that will tempt him out more than anything, so doors need to be translucent. Obviously if it is a horrible cold wet day outdoors, then he needs to be able to ball indoors too, so you will need a bright basking bulb as well as the overnight frost cover. Only for bad weather though, otherwise he might get lazy.

Cheers Sue.

#8 h20

h20

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:08 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users