• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hollyvictoria93

Hollyvictoria93

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:24 PM

Just curious as to how often ya'll feed your tortoises?
and whats their favourite munchies? (my little one, seems to be ignoring the greens)

- When i first purchased him four days ago, i noticed that the pet shop was feeding him, iceberg lettuce and mixes of other lettuce as well as small cubed tomatoes - i want to ween him out of the poor diet. 

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:58 PM

Hi,

I feed my hatchlings every day, they eat a natural diet of weeds, plants and flowers, it's best to not over feed and also to try and give the best natural diet that you can, as he's been fed on a rubbish diet it might take you some time to change it as he already needs time to settle into his new enclosure, I would stop feeding tomatoes altogether and any other fruit or veg and try feeding him florette crispy salad or romaine lettuce as these are better, you could try and add some weeds and flowers to this and then gradually add more weeds less lettuce till he eats them, they can be very stubborn but he'll eat them in time and thank you for it in the long run, are you using any supplements on his food. :)

You might find these links helpful regarding diet.   http://www.tortsmad.com/diet.htm

http://www.thetortoi...e/plants_19.asp. :)

#3 Hollyvictoria93

Hollyvictoria93

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:30 PM

Hey,
Thank you very much - as I'm obviously a new tortoise owner, i don't have the access to weeds as of yet, due to not growing them - if I find some on my travels, i shall grab some and give them a thorough wash etc.
I have treated him to a tomato as he was settling in, didn't want him to feel too uneasy moving in, as well as a long bumpy car journey. 
I shall let you know how he gets on - and yeah i am using multivitamins purchased from pets at home.

Ive heard its best to put a small sprinkle on his food daily with him growing. 

#4 crotchetybear

crotchetybear

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises, my dogs, animal welfare, conservation and environment, wildlife and travel.

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:43 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum. (I too am originally from Lincolnshire.)

Just wanted to say that - even at this time of year - there are quite a few weeds about that are suitable for torts. Growing some yourself is fine - I do this using the tlady's seed mix from Herbiseed - but mostly I feed what I forage when out and about with my dogs. My youngsters came out of hibernation a month ago to a diet of Florette crispy salad but are already back to almost 100% weeds. Yesterday I found an abundance of plantain, dandelion (including flowers which they particularly enjoy) and sow thistle. Don't pick from close by the road and wash them well - they will keep for several days in the fridge.

I feed small amounts daily and dust all food with a calcium supplement.

Good luck with your new tortoise.

Chris

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:05 PM

Hey,
Thank you very much - as I'm obviously a new tortoise owner, i don't have the access to weeds as of yet, due to not growing them - if I find some on my travels, i shall grab some and give them a thorough wash etc.
I have treated him to a tomato as he was settling in, didn't want him to feel too uneasy moving in, as well as a long bumpy car journey. 
I shall let you know how he gets on - and yeah i am using multivitamins purchased from pets at home.

Ive heard its best to put a small sprinkle on his food daily with him growing. 

Is it Nutrobal that you have as that's a good supplement, if not you might want to look at getting some of this it's really good.  http://www.amazon.co...ords=nekton msa  :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: food, dinner, tea, breakfast, lunch, hermann, feed, baby

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users