hibernation juvenile

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 den2908

den2908

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:My loves in life are my family, animals, art, and running.
    Owner of Nick the cat and two hermanns, Daphne and Mabel.

Denise
    x

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:37 PM

Hello all, 

I haven't posted on here in a while but I have a question about the hibernation of my two hermanns Daphne and Mabel. They are 4 years old and this will be their 3rd hibernation. The first year they were in the fridge for 9 weeks, the 2nd year 12 weeks. They are 10 weeks into their big sleep and doing really well and I am wondering if it would be beneficial to keep them in longer or whether this might be inadvisable.  Weight loss is not an issue - Daphne was 148g when she went in and is now 144g and Mabel was 119g and is now 118g (Daphne had a poo!) :wink:

I'm just not sure how long is long enough for a juvenile - or adult for that matter.

Hope you can advise. 

Thank you

Denise

#2 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:42 PM

Hi Denise
If conditions are right and weight loss is minimal then id go for the full 16 weeks as they have hibernated before,this is just my opinion tho

Regards matt

#3 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:20 PM

I too would go for it, if weight loss is minimal. My own have been in since mid November and not coming out until temps start to rise ;) the smallest is around 300 grams

#4 den2908

den2908

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:My loves in life are my family, animals, art, and running.
    Owner of Nick the cat and two hermanns, Daphne and Mabel.

Denise
    x

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:16 PM

Thank you Matt and Sue for your advice and reassurance.    I will keep them in,  monitoring their weight etc. closely. They seem so stable and I want them to get the benefits of a full hibernation if possible - so I'll go for it and let you know how they get on. Thanks again.

All the best

Denise 

#5 toni.ashsmith

toni.ashsmith

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:18 PM

Hi,
can anyone explain the process of hibernation to me? We are planning on getting a Hermann soon but I'm trying to swat up before hand, where is best to keep them? How long etc? Where do you keep yours? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated x Toni

#6 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:03 AM

Hi Toni,

Welcome to the forum. Glad you found us. If you point your cursor at the hibernation heading on the home page and click the relevant topic you will find out all you need to know about the hibernation process. Hope this helps. Take care.

Kind Regards

Freddy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hibernation, juvenile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users